Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Induction Heating Coil

Options
  • 01-03-2016 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm looking for information on how to heat a large flow of water rapidly. I was thinking that if a pipe passed through a induction heating coil like the use in furnaces it might do the trick but unfortunately it is not an area of expertise I have.
    It would be a foot diameter pipe with a large flow of water through it. Wed need the temperature to be brought up to 50 decrees Celsius roughly to eliminate contaminants.
    The reason I'm thinking this way is that space is an issue and can't have a massive setup of pipes and tanks
    Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

It is work thinking about how much energy you will need to be putting in to achieve this result. If the water is at 10 C before you start heating it, it will take 40*4,180J/kg = 167,200 Joules per kg per second, or 167 kW per kg.

If your pipe is of 15 cm radius 1 kg per second is a flow rate of 0.014147 m/s.

70.65*speed in m/s will give you your flow in kg/s * 167kW will give you your power requirement so:
    At a flow rate of 1 meter per second you would need to supply 167*70.65 = 11.8 megawatts of power.

This may not be practical.

Please feel free to check my calculations.

What kind of impurities are you trying to remove? Maybe ozone or UV light would be more suitable?

Advertisement