Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaking power steering fluid, Zafira

Options
  • 01-03-2016 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

I have on 06 Zafira, it's been leaking power steering fluid for a few days now, had a look this evening and its coming from steering rack, ( fluid was coming from gater on tie rod)
    Is there an "easy" fix or is it a complete unit ?
    T.I.A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

Had the same thing recently with a 07 Zafira. Went to a local garage who said replacing steering rack was big job, expensive part etc. Think they quoted €800.
    Asked was there anything else to be done, they put in a solution to coagulate the leak, no issues with that and that was about 6 months ago. Cost about €80 (that included draining all the fluid and replacing, as I had been topping it up with wrong stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

Any idea what they used ? Have asked about and no-one seems to have similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

jimbooth wrote:
    Any idea what they used ? Have asked about and no-one seems to have similar

The company that makes Radweld makes one for racks. Can't remember the name of it but pop into a motor factors and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

I have used a product made by Lucas a few times .
    Comes in a white bottle - any motor factors should know what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

found one, dont know if it made much of a difference though, still oil on the yard last couple of days :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

new rack or rebuild your one is the only fix

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

If the Lucas additive doesn't cure it then your best option is to replace it .
    I don't think you can rebuild steering racks as you won't be able to get the parts - and even if you could it would likely be just a short term fix .

Advertisement