Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

After market warranty. Any point?

Options
  • 01-03-2016 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭

Greetings. Was having a read of some horror stories on here about failed timing belts costing 6 k plus. Got me thinking that maybe I should get an after market warranty. Any one any experience of these? Scam or actually useful? The dealer I got my car from didn't seem to think much of them.

In case it matters I have a mk 6 golf with 160 k kilometres, full main dealer service history and only just out of dealer warranty. Timing belt needs doing soon (ish) but I'll probably do it next time it goes for a service (10 k kilometres time).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I wouldnt bother.
    Instead get a new timing belt, proactively change the water pump at the same time, change the gearbox oil and maybe the clutch.

You'll have a car that'll do another 160k km no bother.

Did this with the missus golf. We will keep it till it blows up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I wouldnt bother.
    Instead get a new timing belt, proactively change the water pump at the same time, change the gearbox oil and maybe the clutch.

You'll have a car that'll do another 160k km no bother.

Did this with the missus golf. We will keep it till it blows up.

Yeah that was what I figured. How much did all that cost you if you don't mind me asking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Yeah that was what I figured. How much did all that cost you if you don't mind me asking
    I think it was about 650 to 700. Had oul change done at the same time.

Independent mechanic in Balgriffin, North Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I think it was about 650 to 700. Had oul change done at the same time.

Independent mechanic in Balgriffin, North Dublin.

Cool. Presume you didn't do the dmf too?

Advertisement