Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culture

Options
  • 01-03-2016 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭

Would you say psychology, psychiatry, counselling are subject to culture and ideology or they strictly scientific evidence based disciplines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

You'll find that most of the journals in psychology and psychiatry are cross-cultural: psychiatrists and psychologists from the Middle East, India, the Far East also write articles, as well as Europeans and Americans (and Australians & New Zealanders). Don't see a lot from South America that I can recall offhand. There are a couple of very well known names from Sth Africa too, and I do see the odd article from the rest of Africa too.

Those from America and especially the UK tend to be concerned with their immigrant populations and minority groups too.

I think although ideas are often USA or European dominated, we see a lot of how our ideas are adapted to other cultures. In future, we'll see more traffic the other way. For example, the notion of recovery from psychosis was found to be a lot higher in third world countries than first. This made us question our approach big-time!

Advertisement