Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking on Extra Work - Tax

Options
  • 01-03-2016 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I've had a look around and can't find the answer I'm looking for. Hopefully I'm not repeating another thread.

I'm about to take up full-time employment again, having being working part-time since the start of January.

Previously, when I was moving job, I provided my new employer with my P45 and that would mean I wouldn't pay any emergency tax.

I intend on keeping the part time position (one day a week) as well as taking on the new full time position (five days a week, with a different company), so what do I need to do so that I'm not paying mad amounts of tax?

Does the tax office already have my details from the first employer, or do I need to send a form equivalent to a P45?

Similarly, does that tax office automatically assign tax credits in the most efficient way possible, or do I need to arrange that also?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Hi,

You would need to contact your local tax office and request that your tax credits are split between the 2 employments as your full tax credits are more than likely allocated to the first job. Your second employer may have registered you as an employee of theirs but if they haven't you can inform the local tax office that you are commencing employment with a 2nd company (you will need the tax registration number of the second company). You will need to work out the most efficient method for splitting the tax credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Your first job should be on their records. Get the employer registration number for the second job and give the tax office a call with your expected annual gross income from job A and job B and they can work out the best way to split your credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Thanks for getting back to me folks, I'll set about getting that registration number.

Advertisement