Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men wearing leggings

Options
  • 01-03-2016 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Has it become more socially expectable for men to wear leggings?. I've noticed both in sports and in everyday street wear men wearing leggings..either under shorts or with long line t-shirts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

smurphy666 wrote: »
    Has it become more socially expectable for men to wear leggings?. I've noticed both in sports and in everyday street wear men wearing leggings..either under shorts or with long line t-shirts.

Well if people are wearing them then yes, or else people wouldn't be wearing them.

Whether it looks any good is a whole other question but it makes sense for keeping muscles warm for sports etc in cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭schaffer1969

You'll find many runners have been wearing these for years, although the hardy ones claim to always wear shorts even in the snow.
    I'd a bit of a complex when I first worn them but it's all in the head. They are very common and keep the muscles and legs warm.
    I'm still baffled as to why some people wear both leggings and shorts at the same time, they must still be embarrassed to a certain extent.

I find looking at people in cycling shorts worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It's been popular in sports now for sometime... between runners, cyclists and even GAA / soccer players.
    I've no issue with it, and it probably does help prevent injury etc...

However, I've NEVER seen men wearing leggings in everyday street wear?!
    Have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Same here, never seen men wearing them. Is this a thing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

They've been popular in sports for years and are a huge staple in streetwear at the moment. I wouldn't really have thought you'd be seeing a lot of streetware in Ireland but it's very popular at the moment among celebrities such as Kanye West etc. Which would obviously help it's popularity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

I wear leggings when all my mankinis are in the wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I think its pretty normal if you're doing sports.
    I've never seen a guy wearing them for a ramble into Grafton St on a Saturday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Think I seen a guy wearing them in a non sporting context yesterday. Times are changing and male parameters are shifting a little bit at least...

Seen a guy today,he was wearing a long t shirt like garment witn leggings,and fringe tied into a pony tail on top,he was slim and looked dead cool ☺ he was very thin though,which one needs to pull it off ?☺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Surely in a sporting / hiking context they'd be base layers rather than leggings?
    Haven't seen any men wearing them as casual wear yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Paul Galvin's jeans always look like leggings!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭izzyregan

I think it has become more acceptable for men to wear more effeminate clothing. Like leggings both in sports wear and casual wear. I seen a guy on the street the other day wearing them. I don't know if he was coming or going to the gym..but he was wearing them with confidence.

izzyregan wrote: »
    I think it has become more acceptable for men to wear more effeminate clothing. Like leggings both in sports wear and casual wear. I seen a guy on the street the other day wearing them. I don't know if he was coming or going to the gym..but he was wearing them with confidence.
    Yes I think traditional concepts of 'masculinity' are breaking down a little bit,don't want to overstate it but there is a little bit of fluidity emerging,as social stigma wanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭kickthecan

I love it! Leggings and eye liner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

What benefit would these have over say a normal pair of joggers/tracksuit pants in the context of physical activity? Is it purely cosmetic? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭kickthecan

If you mean like compression leggings for running they prevent muscle injuries. Cosmetic for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭schaffer1969

kickthecan wrote: »
    If you mean like compression leggings for running they prevent muscle injuries. Cosmetic for me!

They also help keep you warm and wick away any perspiration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I ended up in both Lidl and Aldi last weekend wearing my 3/4 length lycra cycling tights. My physique isn't really built for lycra, so it wouldn't be my normal shopping wear, but all the mammies seem to get away with it, so I wasn't going to bother changing. I was conscious of this thread, and kept an eye out for any curious glances, but no-one seemed to give a toss really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I used to have a lot of friends who were actors for Renaissance "faires" in the US, and I used to help make costumes since I studied stage costuming at university. Honestly men in tights no longer earns a second glance from me, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

Leggings are so comfortable. I remember some people giving out about women wearing such leggings even when they didn't have the physique for them. I think everyone should be able to wear what they want especially these as they are so comfy. In terms of revealing too much maybe wear a long t shirt or make sure they aren't extremely tight in front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭moonshinerocks

I have no problem with people wearing what they want to wear, they should! However I personally would not be attracted to a man who wears leggings (outside of a sporting context where it makes sense)

Advertisement