Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Engagement/token ring in Dublin?

Options
  • 01-03-2016 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi All,

I've decided to propose to my partner and looking for a spot of advice around the purchase of the ring. I am not going to propose to her with the engagement but will be purchasing a token ring as I want to make sure that the engagement ring is exactly what she would like. With that in mind, I'm looking for any advice on the following:

1. Can somebody point me in the direction of a good shop in Dublin to purchase a token ring? I want to get a decent one that she can use in the future and something she will always remember and symbolise with her engagement.

2. With a view to purchasing the engagement ring in the next few days after the engagement, I want to line up a few shops in Dublin which we can visit, has anyone got any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

romanticjoe

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This comes up alot :)

My suggestion is why get a decent one? If you spend 150 on the token ring and your budget is 3k for the engagement ring you are using 5% of your engagement ring budget not on the engagement ring.

I'd suggest you buy a ten/15 euro fake ring in river island or marks and Spencers for the token to propose with.

For me if I am getting a new diamond ring I don't need another one detracting from the main ring.

Good luck and enjoy your proposal!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ps.
    Mcdowels
    Breretons
    Weirs
    Applebys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

For the token ring, I didn't want to spend anything near a hundred, as I knew I'd be spending a fair bit more on a better ring later, so it's purely bought as a placeholder.

With regards to actually shopping then, Voltaire on Sth. King Street are great, and by appointment only. We were able to pop into other places like Weirs (bottom of Grafton St.), and the Appleby's on the fly. There are a few places around Grafton St / George's St that are good, and typically won't require appointment, but we went with Voltaire in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

For the token ring, I didn't want to spend anything near a hundred, as I knew I'd be spending a fair bit more on a better ring later, so it's purely bought as a placeholder.

With regards to actually shopping then, Voltaire on Sth. King Street are great, and by appointment only. We were able to pop into other places like Weirs (bottom of Grafton St.), and the Appleby's on the fly. There are a few places around Grafton St / George's St that are good, and typically won't require appointment, but we went with Voltaire in the end.

Rocks on Grafton st?

Maybe Swarovski for the token ring?

One thing I'd say is not to go for anyhing too overboard with the token ring, as your fiance will get used to having a big rock on her finger and then the real one might not match up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

As an option, OP, I proposed with an engagement ring charm from Thomas Sabo as my fiancee collects his charms. It was ring-shaped and now she can always wear it on her bracelet or necklace and remember the proposal. You know? Just a thought.

As an option, OP, I proposed with an engagement ring charm from Thomas Sabo as my fiancee collects his charms. It was ring-shaped and now she can always wear it on her bracelet or necklace and remember the proposal. You know? Just a thought.

This is a really cute idea - although depends on how she feels about charm bracelets!

Maybe get a ring wtih her birthstone or something that you could get made into a pendent afterwards so it too has some sentimental value?

Personally, I would like it if the token was something that I'd also like to wear afterwards.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

A friend of mine proposed with a wedding cake topper, which I thought was quite cute.

For the real thing, I ended up getting mine in Fields on Grafton St. We were doing the rounds of all the shops and saw 'the one' in there. It was nice cos they bring you downstairs to a seating area, away from the main shop. A few places had us trying stuff on at the main counter, which I wasn't mad about.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

Hi OP,

My fiance recently proposed with a swan feather ring from Chupi. I loved it. It's really nice to have something I can keep and that has special memories as being the ring that I was actually proposed to with.

They come in rose gold, silver and yellow gold.

http://www.chupi.ie/rings/278-swan-feather-ring-gold.html

aidom wrote: »
    Hi OP,

My fiance recently proposed with a swan feather ring from Chupi. I loved it. It's really nice to have something I can keep and that has special memories as being the ring that I was actually proposed to with.

They come in rose gold, silver and yellow gold.

http://www.chupi.ie/rings/278-swan-feather-ring-gold.html

+1

Chupi stuff is lovely and exactly the sort of thing you'd want to keep afterwards because its great in its own right as well as pure sentimental value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

You would be hard pressed to find a ring for under a €100 in Swarovski to use for the Token ring.

Pandora do lovely silver rings at reasonable prices.

Etsy would be another option, my husband has got some levely handmade jewelry on there. If you don't think she will wear another ring as well as the engagement a necklace with a charm is a lovely idea. Something like this?

Kathy22 wrote: »
    You would be hard pressed to find a ring for under a €100 in Swarovski to use for the Token ring.

Pandora do lovely silver rings at reasonable prices.

Etsy would be another option, my husband has got some levely handmade jewelry on there. If you don't think she will wear another ring as well as the engagement a necklace with a charm is a lovely idea. Something like this?

Actually there are lots on their website under €100.

Maybe something like this as there are multiple colour options; http://www.swarovski.com/Web_IE/en/5007778/product/Vittore_White_Ring.html

Or this is a more classic choice;http://www.swarovski.com/Web_IE/en/5139634/product/Attract_Square_Ring_.html

IMO Chupi would be more expensve on average but their stuff is so lovely.

Op remember the golden rule with token rings! Don't buy a bigger diamond than you can afford to buy in the real ring!!! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

Pandora have some very sweet rings for around €50. I wouldn't go for something that looks like a diamond ring because then she probably won't wear it afterwards as it will look odd with the actual diamond ring.
    If you decide to go with Pandora or Thomas sabo or similar silver is better than gold plated as the plating will wear off and it won't look as nice a year from now. Congrats/ good luck with the proposal!

• Company Representative Posts: 80 Verified rep Voltaire Diamonds: Seamus

Many thanks for the mention hidinginthebush & PAtww79

romanticjoe, we would be delighted to meet you. We meet all our clients at our private offices on King Street South (just past the Gaiety Theatre at top of Grafton Street).

We have a large range of Engagement Rings available immediately on the day we meet. If you have a very specific bespoke style in mind, our workshop can handmake for you and to your price range.

Our prices start at €1,500.

Please look at our Youtube channel where you will see videos of lots of rings we have made in the past:

https://www.youtube.com/user/VoltaireDiamonds/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

We look forward to hearing from you.

Seamus

www.voltairediamonds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26 romanticjoe

Thanks for the numerous replies and advice.
    Rocks on Grafton st?

One thing I'd say is not to go for anyhing too overboard with the token ring, as your fiance will get used to having a big rock on her finger and then the real one might not match up!

I dont want to get an overboard ring as yes, the real one may not live up to expectations then!
    That's a nice suggestion unfortunately the charm bracelet does not see the light of day that much anymore

I was thinking of spending a bit on the token ring but it makes sense to keep the budget for the engagement ring as that is the one that I know she is really looking forward to picking.

On the shop front, I have seen Voltaire mentioned in a lot of places so I will definitely look at them when the time comes

Completely agree romanticjoe. Spend as little as possible on the token and put all the money into the real diamond.

Why not pop into claires accessories and buy a fun little plastic token ring to propose with - will make for a cute little story.
    Or if you prefer a diamond look ring you can get dress rings for ten/fifteen euro in marks and Spencers, zara, river island etc.
    Go small! :)

Advertisement