Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying timing belt and water pump off Ebay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've bought many parts off of ebay.
    Use common sense and make sure seller is legit/has lots of good feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

biko wrote: »
    I've bought many parts off of ebay.
    Use common sense and make sure seller is legit/has lots of good feedback

Anyoe use this site only £87
    http://www.buycarparts.co.uk/contitech/7181964

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Who are you getting to fit the belt?

Who are you getting to fit the belt?

Local independent in Limerick recently did my uncles Mondeo.

Do you know the breakdown of the amount he charges in terms of how much is for parts and how much is labour? You may not necessarily save money by supplying the part yourself.

• Advertisement

Do you know the breakdown of the amount he charges in terms of how much is for parts and how much is labour? You may not necessarily save money by supplying the part yourself.

Think it's 200 to fit the belt.

And how much in total if he supplies the parts as well? Or does he want you to supply your own?

And how much in total if he supplies the parts as well? Or does he want you to supply your own?

Yes supplying the belt myself.

Got a quote off shop in town for €200 for the belt so thinking of getting the one off Ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I would recommend you do your homework on the part though. eBay is often aftermarket something something instead of OEM. That has come back to bite me on cheaper parts like sensors once or twice and I ended up buying twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Yes supplying the belt myself.

Got a quote off shop in town for €200 for the belt so thinking of getting the one off Ebay.

did you try Limerick Brakes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Worth thinking about warranty if you supply the parts yourself. In the event that the belt or water pump fails shortly after installation who would be responsible? The mechanic can say the belt was faulty and the seller can say the mechanic fitted it incorrectly. Better off getting an all-in price and having clear line of accountability if anything goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Yardleys Lavender

What about warranty and comeback? If you have a parts failure surely it would make more sense to be able to hand it back for repair. Would it be worth your while to shop around a bit more for a cheaper supply and fit price? Then at least if the awfulness of a timing belt or pump failing you have somewhere to go. No garage will stand over parts they have not supplied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Yardleys Lavender

Pete67 wrote: »
    Worth thinking about warranty if you supply the parts yourself. In the event that the belt or water pump fails shortly after installation who would be responsible? The mechanic can say the belt was faulty and the seller can say the mechanic fitted it incorrectly. Better off getting an all-in price and having clear line of accountability if anything goes wrong.

Snap!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I just checked in work(dublin so probably of little use to you) and a gates kit and fai waterpump should be gettable with a trade discount by your mechanic for about €100 inc vat.

Thanks for all the replies seems getting my mechanic to source the part would be the best way to go.

Advertisement