Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How strict are guards on not having N plates?

Options
  • 01-03-2016 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I passed my test a year ago now and have been displaying N plates since then. I'm just wondering if the guards are strict on not displaying them and if anyone has had this said to them for not using them. I'm not implying I'm a fantastic driver and I don't need them anymore as I know they're supposed to be up for two years but I'm just curious!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭dennyk

You can get penalty points for not displaying them, so regardless of the odds, why take the risk? It's not like there's any reason not to display them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you have a problem displaying them, you could always turn them upside down as a protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

It's also important to note that as a Novice driver you have a reduced Blood Alcohol limit (20mg) and just 7 Penalty Points will result in you being disqualified from driving (versus 12 for most other Full License holders)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Driving around for a year without them.
    Never stopped - they have more important things to be worried about.

High horses at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I was half thinking of taking mine off, I just think they look really ugly! Not worth the penalty points though. Saying that it's extremely unlikely to be asked for your licence I reckon. My Mother has been driving since the 80's and she's never been asked for her licence while driving/at a checkpoint.

I just don't really see the point of these N plates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

IMHO, 'N' plates should have been designed to be smaller in size and green in colour (i.e. make the 'N' green). The current 'N' appears to be bigger than the 'L' on learner plates?!

Some 'credit' should be given to drivers who pass their test by allowing them to display smaller 'N' plates (a knock-on effect would be that many male 'N' drivers would be less 'embarrassed' to display a smaller/less obvious plate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

My issue with N plates is how it makes other drivers react. I'm fed up of having some w***er sitting off my back bumper when I'm driving along, usually speeding (at bit) becuase they just assume I'm going slowly. They are an incredibaly stupid invention. Personally I think we'd have been better off with having to display the number of penalty points on a tabard.

That said, not worth the points. How strict the guard is will vary wildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

My issue with N plates is how it makes other drivers react. I'm fed up of having some w***er sitting off my back bumper when I'm driving along, usually speeding (at bit) becuase they just assume I'm going slowly. They are an incredibaly stupid invention. Personally I think we'd have been better off with having to display the number of penalty points on a tabard.

That said, not worth the points. How strict the guard is will vary wildly.

IMHO, such tailgating would be less likely if the 'N' was green in colour. For some drivers the red 'N' - and red 'L' - is like holding-a-red-rag-to-a-bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭dennyk

Hell, I ain't even got my full license or N plates yet and I still get people tailgating me when I'm going the speed limit. Trust me, the lack of a placard ain't gonna keep idiots from being idiots.

Besides, I've been driving for twenty years; if anyone ought to be complaining about having to wear the scarlet letter, it's us dirty immigrants, not y'all actual newbies... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

dennyk wrote: »
    Hell, I ain't even got my full license or N plates yet and I still get people tailgating me when I'm going the speed limit. Trust me, the lack of a placard ain't gonna keep idiots from being idiots.

Besides, I've been driving for twenty years; if anyone ought to be complaining about having to wear the scarlet letter, it's us dirty immigrants, not y'all actual newbies... :pac:

When I said speeding I meant me. It's not just tailgating its other behaviours like pulling out dangerously 'so not to be stuck behind' or over taking where it's not needed - the way I know it's not needed is I usually end up being slowed down by the person or end up overtaking them.

Granted though all those behaviours happen without tabards, having driven for years without L's though I think the tabards exasperate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement