Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longest credit / data package expiry

Options
  • 29-02-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking to keep a dongle in my bag for keeping a remote computer on line every so often. I wouldn't require this dongle very often (maybe once a month or maybe once every 2 months)

What operator / service would be best to go with for sporadic connectivity like this?

It's only for use in the field on a 2nd PC. Basically I'd only be using it to keep a teamviewer or similar session alive while i go to another location and use my main laptop tethered to my Phone to log back into that machine if I need to change the connected equipment's settings.

Actually just thinking of it as I type Vodafone's one day add-on is €3 so I could add €10 credit to a sim and use a single day add-on whenever i need it. How long does the VF PAYG credit remain active?

Is there anything else similar or better out there? I dont really mind the network as I wnt be looking for big speeds or anything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

As far as I'm aware of, all the networks keep credit active for 6 months. After 6 months, it depends on the network. With Meteor, they close the account and all credit is forfeited (it happened to me a few years ago). With Three, the credit is forfeited if no usage is made in 6 months, but the account remains active. With Vodafone, the account is locked if a top-up has not been made in 6 months, however, the credit is kept for a further 8 months and is unlocked with the next top-up.

Tesco mobile broadband had the longest mobile broadband plan, which was €15 for 3GB over 90 days on prepay. I can no longer find any mention of mobile broadband on their website, so it's quite possible they no longer offer mobile broadband. However, if this sounds like an option, it's worth checking in a Tesco shop in case any still have a prepay mobile broadband SIM in stock.

Advertisement