Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hollystown golf club

Options
  • 29-02-2016 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi looking for some info on this place,whats it like,does it close alot due to rain,is it easy to get on the time sheet.Would you think its worth joining,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

meeko11 wrote: »
    Hi looking for some info on this place,whats it like,does it close alot due to rain,is it easy to get on the time sheet.Would you think its worth joining,

You have a lot of choice in and around that area of North Dublin. I played Hollystown a few times while looking to join a club. I compared it to Corrstown, Castleknock, St Margrets and Forrest Little.

I found it a little short and not as challenging as some of the other courses. The practice facilities are very good. I had heard that it was tough to get on the timesheet, but i didnt have any issue (i played three times).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I have a soft spot for this course, it was my 1st place to join. It's 15 years ago now but I have no recollection of it being bad for closures or for getting on the time sheet.

I can say that it's the best club I have been in for atmosphere, activities and just general fun.

Very good club manager and staff too.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

It's handy as it has 27 holes. Course does be in decent nick but with Margarets 5 mins up the road that would be the place I'd join, great layout and always in good condition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I was a member there for a year in 2013. It has a lot going for it, 27 holes is an advantage and makes getting out easy, good practice space even if the conditioning was/is a little rough, location suited me at under 15mins door to door, price wise it was at least 500 cheaper than nearby alternatives, generally well run business and good atmosphere within the club.
    However as with anything there are downsides, at the time there was no online time sheets which was a pain having to ring the club. Since I didn't know anyone before joining I never knew who I'd be playing with before hand. Also despite there being a timesheet of sorts with interested names and times each weekend generally involved the starter grouping players as they were ready to play. That was only a bugbear however and may have since changed, the real clincher for me that year was the conditioning of the greens. It was a great summer weather wise but the greens didn't receive the attention they required and otherwise let down a good course. I didn't think it was a good omen of future developments so decided to join BlackBush adding an additional 15mins each way to my journey.
    Any other specific questions let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Used to play it a good bit but to be honest the courses themselves aren't great. There was one 9 that used to get very wet.
    Have you looked at anywhere else.
    Think if I was looking Roganstown and swords open would be on the list. Swords open is decent value plus you get 5 days playing rights in Roganstown.
    Drainage is super on both courses Roganstown was closed for 2 days over the winter swords not at all.
    I am a member of Roganstown.
    After that St Margaret's would be my next choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Im a member and enjoy it. The greens have been great over the last few years
    Yes the yellow nine can get a little wet but its not a huge problem. Very friendly membership at a reasonable cost. There is online tee times available now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Hollystown is great value and 27 holes is a huge advantage when looking at any club, but when looking at a club you always need to consider the following depending on what you want out of it. I would put my list in the following order:

Location to Home (needs to be less then 15 to 20 minutes)
    Location to Work (do you plan to play golf on the way home from work)
    Cost (how much do you want to spend)
    What type of Membership (5 day, 7 day)
    Facilities available (practice area, on-line timesheet, Interclub Golf, weekly comps)
    Style of Course (hard, easy, links, Parkland, suitable for beginners, suitable to you, etc)
    Financial situation (is it financially safe, how much debt, how much recurring income, how much of income services the debt)
    Who owns the course? (members or business owners, is it a share option that can be resold when you leave the club, hello money for joining)
    Flooding and how playable during winter

At every club you will find like minded people and make friends, but some clubs you will find this easier then others. If a club as a high turnover of members then this will be an issue.

Do you homework in the area (excellent choice of clubs in the North Dublin area) or speak to someone who has knowledge of the membership options in the area. Most clubs are growing at the moment in the North Dublin area, but some of them have far to much debt so the expenditure within the club will be towards debt instead of the course, it's hard to see these clubs been around in the long term unless the owners keep them open.

I have seen a lot of people join clubs in the North Dublin area to only move to a different club the following year because they didn't do the above homework so it's worth while putting some time into it.

Good luck with your decision and golf membership is a great benefit if used enough. I have mine 15 years (got it when I was 27) now and it was the best investment I ever made and I love going out to the club every weekend and spending time with friends.

Advertisement