Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alternative for insurance.

Options
  • 29-02-2016 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi, doing a DIY conversion. Seems that it's straightforward getting it VRT'd and registered as a camper on logbook however Dolmen won't insure me as its under 1.8m. I plan on trying the motorcaravan club of Ireland but what if they don't deem the conversion of a high enough standard? Can I get it insured as a normal van or day van?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

What van are you converting?

Keep all of the receipts you can for the conversion, you need to include them with the declaration of conversion to revenue.

Dolmen and Stuarts will both ask for the 1.8m internal height but a pop-top will be allowable for both of them. Dolmen will not insure if there is no walk-through between the front seats and rear living area.

If your van is a VW, you can get a quote from Carole Nash.

I have found Richardson's very good to deal with, they work with Allianz: http://www.richardsoninsurance.ie/schemes/campers/

I think the MCC are also through Allianz, they have a specific SQI they use to approve the conversions, maybe you could consult him from the beginning to ensure you get a favourable assessment.

I would recommend you contact the insurers at this stage before you comit to your plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

I'm converting a t350 transit minibus. The same layout as this guys.

http://www.mycampervanconversion.co.uk/

The difference is its not a high roof transit so I don't have 1.8m Headroom. I've heard of these so called day vans which don't quite meet the campervan standard. Are they just taxed and insured as standard van?

Do the MCC have a number of SQIs around the country that I could approach and talk this over with?

Dayvan is taxed and insured as a normal van yes but a dayvan is something that doesn't meet the revenue description of a camper. If you're finish is like the one in the link I don't see you having much trouble wiuth SQIs. I'm not sure about MCC, I read somewhere that they use a single SQI. You could try contacting them but they're not the best at their online presence or welcoming new members!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Dayvan is taxed and insured as a normal van yes but a dayvan is something that doesn't meet the revenue description of a camper. If you're finish is like the one in the link I don't see you having much trouble wiuth SQIs. I'm not sure about MCC, I read somewhere that they use a single SQI. You could try contacting them but they're not the best at their online presence or welcoming new members!

Little bit harsh on the MCC, I joined last year with little effort and they were very helpful sorting out insurance cover . Likewise I had a low roof conversion(VW T5 shuttle), so could only get insurance through MCC scheme. They have 2 SQIs, one in meath and one in Kerry I think.
    Don't have their details to hand but I can look them up later at home.

martinkop wrote: »
    Little bit harsh on the MCC, I joined last year with little effort and they were very helpful sorting out insurance cover .

Only going off of my own experience, I enquired about joining (I already have insurance) and the reply was asking for a rake of questions and interior photos of my van etc. When I re-established that I was just enquiring about joining the club they said they would send me a welcome pack which I never received.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I guess they did want pics, etc. but my original declaration for the VRT was done by their SQI so made it a bit easier. Plus I needed membership cos I can't get insurance for low roof anywhere else.

If you have a vw, Carole Nash will also insure.

Thanks, have renewed for this year already, but I'll remember for next year.

Advertisement