Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decline in insects

Options
  • 29-02-2016 1:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭

Hello,

Is there a decline in all insect levels in Ireland? I'm not noticing any moths this year, or spiders around my windows. It's strange. I'm no expert, but is there a decline?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you are talking in terms of the past months or year then no. Indeed the mild winter has led to an abundance of insects. Moths and Spiders did well this winter too.

If you are talking about over the past 30 years or more then, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

If you use surrogate variables like insect eating bird species you can get a broad indication on how insect species in general are doing. A lot of insect eating species of bird are doing bad when compared to 50 years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,191 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or, the measure i use as an example - remember what the car windscreen used to look like after you drove across the country during the summer 30 years ago?

There's no doubt that insect numbers have dropped in the past 50 years. As said, remember the grill and windscreen of the car on a summer's day in the past. The decline in population of insect eaters is also a sure sign - starvation levels among 3rd brood House Sparrow chicks is an example.

Our fixation with using insecticides in agriculture, the changing face of our countryside etc. have all contributed.

That said, I feel the OP was asking about the past year when numbers have actually been good around here, with many species active right through the winter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,191 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speaking of which, i assume this is a solitary wasp? i caught it a few weeks ago.

378981.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

The insects not being on the car is down to the aerodynamics of modern cars, air is pushed around and over the car instead of hitting it head on

ceecee14 wrote: »
    The insects not being on the car is down to the aerodynamics of modern cars, air is pushed around and over the car instead of hitting it head on

Oh not quite. In a bumper year you'll still get the plastering of insects on the windscreen. Happened me on the N7 about five years ago and had to pull off to get cleaned up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

Oh not quite. In a bumper year you'll still get the plastering of insects on the windscreen. Happened me on the N7 about five years ago and had to pull off to get cleaned up.

Drive a motorcycle on any dry day and you will see millions of them on headlights and helmet ect.

I don't doubt insects are down though, I haven't seen a ladybird in years, very few butterfly's and wasps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

usually after dark when you get insect kill on a car isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

speaking of which, i assume this is a solitary wasp? i caught it a few weeks ago.
    Wasp beetle AFAIK. Did you catch it in the house? We've had a few of them since January, they exist as a grub in logs, then pupate and emerge from firewood when you bring it into the warm house.
    They eat pollen apparently. I kept a few in a jar with some flowers for a few weeks, but one died and then I got fed up with them and released them outside. They are supposed to emerge in the summertime, so they ain't gonna be happy no matter what you do with them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KPdm9R7Yg0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

It was said by some commentators at time that the huge tree losses caused by the storm of winter 2013-14 culmination in Storm Darwin, would be great for many insects providing them with
    habitat and food.

Advertisement