Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

K12 Micra Not Starting

Options
  • 28-02-2016 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

The other halfs Micra will not start, It was fine yesterday i.e it was turned over moved backwards out of the garden and shifted over to let another vehicle exit then turned off. (its driven everyday of the week so not sitting up)

However today when she tried to start it, it would not tick over. When i came home i got in there was power to the lights dash and radio and it was making attempts to start, so i assumed it wasnt power related. To be sure i jumped it from the jeep and it still would not start. The Battery was reading 13v from the multimeter so not power as far as i could tell.

Stripped it down and all the plugs are sparking.

Put on the OBD any i am getting P1122 P0223 P0123 P0113 P0107

Now i know to take fault codes sometimes with a pinch of salt. She had low oil levels so ive topped that up. Is it plausible this is Timing Chain ? Would the timing chain prevent starting up. I would have thought for timing chain that i should be seeing camshaft sensor or similar.

Thoughts ? Direction ? what next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I can hear it ticking but other than that how do i check if the starter is acting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think this codes you're showing are all related to the throttle body,
    If the starter is clicking but not turning then it's most likely a starter issue. Push starting it should tell you if it is. A tap to the starter with a hammer, or repeated fast turning of the key might temporarily nudge it into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Remove battery connections for an hour and try codes again.

Timing chain may affect starting but I don't think it's the chain. I'd say fuel pump.

I was thinking Fuel Pump too il have to leave the battery off as ive cleared the codes. Checked the Fuel Pump fuse was good which was a pain in the arse itself.
    If you know these that particular fuse board is safely installed beneath the passenger side Headlamp. Quality work Nissan!

Im going to go out and take the leads off the car now leave it over night, what can i do to verify Fuel Pump, not 100% where it is located on these puppies

Just to be clear though, you turn the key, you hear a click but the starter motor isn't cranking?

• Advertisement

Correct!

In that case, I'd keep it simple. The starter motor should turn even if you don't have an engine or an ECU.
    Before you get too in-depth, push start the car and see what happens.

Will give that a crack, as its dark and my back is not up to it right now tomorrow :) cheers

Went out again for my own sanity, Starter is fine shes turning over but no life past that. Turning over on command.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The ignition switch on the back of the barrell is well known for giving trouble in them. That said, if it's turning over, it's not that.

• Advertisement

So having cleared the codes last night, removed the battery today and left it charging (just to cover all bases) i reinstalled the battery cleaned down cam sensors and tried to start again. She is turning over but will go no further than that. Ran the codes again this time i am getting similar again

P0223
    P0123
    P0113
    P0107

I removed the head cover just to see how the chain was and removed side inspection plate, The Chain Tension Piston is out about 14mm, so i know it will have to be done but no really heavy slack on it so im not sure it jumped a tooth or anything.

Does anyone know could stretched chain result in Throttle Sensor readings ?

What should i be looking to go to next

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It is possible your chain is worn/stretched but since it's a pain to check I'd stay with easier things for now. You sure it's getting fuel?
    What year is the K12?

Try spraying some starter fluid/gas into the cylinders or TB, see if it fires.

The plugs were wet twice when checking so fuels coming in, (dried them out of course) Im beginning to think its either the harness, ground sensor or the floor pedal actuator.

The errors all point to something of these, il have to try pull out the ESM i think i may have a copy stored on old laptop.

K12 2006. 1.2 Petrol

It was perfectly fine the day before wasnt driven which is why its all very odd. Maybe i did the floor pedal actuator in with my burly bike boots. Visually its all sound no connector loose in fact its locked in there.

Bloody reno electrics on these things.

Update here, traced this back to the Pedal Assembly, sending zero volts.

Replaced with a scrapyard part cleaned the throttle body out with carb cleaner and she started straight away.

Idle is a good bit lumpy so may be an air leak somewhere in there. Just happy to have it running now :cool:

Advertisement