Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Muslims eat broccoli?

Options
  • 28-02-2016 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

I was chatting to a guy who happened to be Muslim and in the course of the conversation he told me that Muslims don't eat broccoli. I thought he was joking so I laughed, then he became serious and told me that he didn't eat broccoli because there are hygienic problems with it's preparation.
    I like broccoli but I can see how it is hard to wash properly so I accepted this.
    However when I google "Do Muslims eat broccoli?" I'm not seeing it on the do not eat list.
    Was this guy just messing with me? (I wouldn't be suprised)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Every single supermarket I have ever been to in the Middle East has both fresh and frozen broccoli.

And my Muslim colleague whom I have just questioned on the matter answered, rather bemused, that yes, they can eat broccoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Thanks. I suspected it was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thrwwy

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but half of my family are orthodox Jews and they don't eat broccoli and the like, the reasoning being it's difficult to clean thoroughly and they may end up eating bugs that wouldn't have been killed according to kashrut rules. I'm not sure if this a Muslim practice as well, seeing as the poster above's Muslim friend found it odd maybe it's a regional thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Yester wrote: »
    I was chatting to a guy who happened to be Muslim and in the course of the conversation he told me that Muslims don't eat broccoli. I thought he was joking so I laughed, then he became serious and told me that he didn't eat broccoli because there are hygienic problems with it's preparation.
    I like broccoli but I can see how it is hard to wash properly so I accepted this.
    However when I google "Do Muslims eat broccoli?" I'm not seeing it on the do not eat list.
    Was this guy just messing with me? (I wouldn't be suprised)

If I wasn't fasting I probably would spit my coffee out reading that :D:D :confused::confused::confused:

To confirm. There is nothing, zilch, nada, absolutely nothing about broccoli being forbidden anywhere in Islamic teaching, it itself doesn't even appear in the Quran or Hadith even on the side (like dates, pomegranates etc).

On the contrary, all vegetables and fruits are permissible for consumption under Islamic law (unless old squashed grapes ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

thrwwy wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but half of my family are orthodox Jews and they don't eat broccoli and the like, the reasoning being it's difficult to clean thoroughly and they may end up eating bugs that wouldn't have been killed according to kashrut rules. I'm not sure if this a Muslim practice as well, seeing as the poster above's Muslim friend found it odd maybe it's a regional thing?

Bugs? Bugs!:confused:Surely every time Orthodox Jews walk the pavement or breathe they kill some insect or microbe in an, eh, "unorthodox" manner. This is bonkers stuff. I believe Jews are (according to Wikipedia) allowed to kill certain types of locust. I'd love to know the kosher manner of killing those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,135 ✭✭✭✭looksee

ilkhanid wrote: »
    Bugs? Bugs!:confused:Surely every time Orthodox Jews walk the pavement or breathe they kill some insect or microbe in an, eh, "unorthodox" manner. This is bonkers stuff. I believe Jews are (according to Wikipedia) allowed to kill certain types of locust. I'd love to know the kosher manner of killing those.

You are missing the point that it is the eating that matters. Walking on a bug is not important unless you are going to eat it. The point about breathing in bugs is an interesting one though. And both Jews and Muslims who are concerned about food laws should look out for cochineal or carmine - the red/pink colouring used to make your iced cake look pretty is made from crushed bugs.

Advertisement