Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVG 2 Year offer

Options
  • 28-02-2016 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Seen this on Grupon ::

Three-PC's Two-Year AVG Licence: Anti-Virus (€12.99) or Internet Security (€24.99) (Up to 76% Off)

Seems a good buy.

Thanks

Jay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Wouldn't use avg if they paid me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I'm not a fan of AVG at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Link? As I can't find it on groupon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't use avg if they paid me

Was great 5 years ago but is now a bloated POS. Not a great AV these days

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Don't bother tbh. AVG used to be great, but as with most of these applications they turn crap over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Whats a good alternative these days?

ESET is the best

• Advertisement

Great to see all the compsec experts keeping us safe. So remember kids: AVG is awful, ESET is the best, and this is all gospel, so we don't need any supporting evidence.

Here's a reasonably decent recent write up of the main AV offerings, based on actual facts: http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,3253,l=256703&a=306776&po=1,00.asp

Summary - AVG is good, but the paid version doesn't offer much of value over the free edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

ESET Smart Security is the best

Well I am in computer security and I can tell you AVG is poor. And using a PC Mag writeup doesn't mean much either to be honest (I worked for one of the AV products in the review you linked). You can even throw the AV comparative tests in that bunch too. There is whole-sale cheating going on in AV comparative tests. Which is a shame as it can cause people to fooled into buying a poor product.

A lot of claims, but again - no supporting evidence. I don't run AVG on my home machines or work infrastructure so I am not a fanboy, but I hate seeing something slated without anything to back it up.
    https://www.virusbulletin.com/testing/results/latest/vb100-antimalware

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I actually can't stand AVG, I used it for years and the constant pop ups from it were so annoying - I went with Avast, seems to do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Personally i wouldn't bother with a paid anti-virus at all. I've been using 360 Total Security along with Malwarebytes (free version) and have never had any problems whatsoever.

Advertisement