Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different Dialects/Accents

Options
  • 28-02-2016 2:53pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Currently I am studying a German course. There are different speakers from Northern Germany and also from Austria.

My query is would there much of a difference between the two regions - as for example there being differences between US and UK English in meaning and pronounciation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That depends really ...

In the environment of a language class where people try to speak "by the book" all you would hear is different accents. A northern German vs. an Austrian accent would be clearly distinguishable (even to a foreigner) but still the same language and understandable by both.

Dialects however are a totally different matter:D
    A Tyrolian farmer and an inner city Viennese street hawker could talk "Austrian" to each other for hours without understanding a single word.

The same goes for a northern German "Plattdeutsch" speaker and an "allemanic" speaking person from the far reaches of the black forest.

Dialects differ so widely in vocabulary and grammatical structure, I would almost consider them languages of their own.

Advertisement