Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional on 16 year old car?

Options
  • 28-02-2016 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hellos not sure if this is the right place to ask this so sorry if wrong

Just wondering does anybody have any experience or where to look for insurance compmanys who will insure a provisional driver as a named driver on a 16 year old car?

Main driver has there ncb used on another car so they have 0 ncb and names provisional driver is 20 year old

So far only place that I've got quoted is from Liberty but they want 5k and that seem to much even considering everything

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Hard to get anyone to quote on a 15+ year old car anymore, let alone when you are doing what they call "fronting" (ie named driver ... they don't like that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

As you are not going to be the insured, it is not for you to be getting quotations. The quote will be based on the proposer's circumstances, with you as a potential add on. There are a few hurdles ahead of you, namely;

Obvious 'fronting' which will stand out with all insurers
    Many insurers are not quoting cars over 10 yrs old
    No NCB, though someone might mirror the bonus on the other vehicle
    Learners Permit
    Young named driver

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daylers

Driver who is the main driver on the insurance policy will geuinly be the one driving the car most of the time it's just a second car around, I am also aware that insurance company's probably will think otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

they wont believe you

daylers wrote: »
    Driver who is the main driver on the insurance policy will geuinly be the one driving the car most of the time it's just a second car around, I am also aware that insurance company's probably will think otherwise

Unless it is a classic car, nobody will accept that an experienced driver suddenly wants to buy a 16 year old car as his main ride and share the joy with a 20 yr old with a learner's permit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daylers

While they were getting Insurance quotes decided we'd have a look just to see how much it would be to add me on. Both people that could be the main driver have there ncb used currently ones used on another car while another's used on a old van

I was just looking for people's experience with various insures but thanks for the advice regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

daylers wrote:
    While they were getting Insurance quotes decided we'd have a look just to see how much it would be to add me on. Both people that could be the main driver have there ncb used currently ones used on another car while another's used on a old van

daylers wrote:
    I was just looking for people's experience with various insures but thanks for the advice regardless

Basically your age, the age of the car, no ncb and only having a provisional is against you . People are getting roasted on older cars my mates daughter s insurance went from 350 to 1350 in the space of a year because her car hit the age of 15 years and she is in her mid 30 s and full everything.

Get your full license and go from there . Your basically gonna be paying a premium to drive a car it's a fact you will have to get used to.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Insuring cars over 15 years is difficult for anyone at the moment. So I think you might struggle. I'm dreading my renewal come August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I found 123 and Axa would give me quotes on my '00 accord, no problem. A lot of others wouldn't talk to me!

EDIT: Sorry, I'm on a full license!

daylers wrote: »
    While they were getting Insurance quotes decided we'd have a look just to see how much it would be to add me on.

What sort of quotes were they getting for just the two of them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement