Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax Query

Options
  • 28-02-2016 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    have a car which I rarely use any more. just keeping it until my insurance is up for the ncb. Tax is out end of march.
    Can I just not tax and obviously not use it and sell it with expired tax when I want to or will revenue come after me for the tax somewhere down the line.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,185 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If your keeping it on your own property there's no issue and nothing owed. If you intend to drive the car again while your name is still on the logbook you would have to pay back taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

You should make an off the road declaration before the tax expires. Revenue won't come chasing you then.

When you sell the car, the off road declaration is automatically cancelled to the new owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You can do as you suggest and no, revenue will not come after you for expired tax if the car doesn't go on the road. You will get warning letters about expired tax but if you are not on the road, no law is being broken.
    It would however be rather silly to do it that way when the option of declaring off the road is open to you as long as you do it before expiry of current tax. This way, you can put the car on the road again in future if you needed to without penalty. Another issue that arose lately on here is insurers looking for proof of being declared off road when there is a gap in insurance on a car you own. Legally its none of their business however they can ask for anything they wish I guess.

In summary, it's a no brainer to declare it off the road.

Advertisement