Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best value diesel fuel

Options
  • 27-02-2016 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

With all the different garages (esso, mail etc) which is the best value, best mpg, best for engine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

wex96 wrote: »
    With all the different garages (esso, mail etc) which is the best value, best mpg, best for engine?

Maxol is the best for petrol or diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Truckermal wrote: »
    Maxol is the best for petrol or diesel.

Lol

Care to enlighten us to the logic of this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is no "best".

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It all comes from the same refinery in Whitegate, some companies then add their own additives claiming improved performance or mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

bazz26 wrote: »
    It all comes from the same refinery in Whitegate, some companies then add their own additives claiming improved performance or mpg.

The fuel coming out of Whitegate is perfect that has to meet spec it's what happens to it from the time it gets from Whitegate to your cars fuel tank is the issue. In other words what's being added into it and the condition of the tanks it's being stored in etc means that the fuel could be very different station to station / brand to brand.

I always fill up on topaz are they the best I don't know but I find I get the best mpg out of them and the car is happy on the fuel after that I don't really care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

CIP4 wrote: »
    The fuel coming out of Whitegate is perfect that has to meet spec it's what happens to it from the time it gets from Whitegate to your cars fuel tank is the issue. In other words what's being added into it and the condition of the tanks it's being stored in etc means that the fuel could be very different station to station / brand to brand.

I always fill up on topaz are they the best I don't know but I find I get the best mpg out of them and the car is happy on the fuel after that I don't really care.

That's basically what I was saying. :)

Bandara wrote: »
    Lol

Care to enlighten us to the logic of this ?

I achieve much better MPG with Maxol fuel over the likes of Applegreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Maxol have stringent quality assurance , according to the man I know who works in Toyota Ireland warranty department, who has lots of fuel related engine issues to deal with,

other than Maxol his recommendation is non franchised corporate ran outlets .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Not this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I use Esso usually. I have filled up in my local tesco on occasion and find I get less out of the tank with their fuel. Maybe it's in my head as I haven't measured it by brimming the tank but I just find the needle dropping quicker when using tesco fuel against the Esso variant. I've never had any fuel related issues with the car with either brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Anybody posting that they have better mpg/whatever with certain fuel companies need to post their figures. It not sufficient to just say you 'feel' there's a difference.
    I keep records of my fuel consumption and stop at various branded garages and there's no difference. I've posted my spreadsheet before with actual figures- no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Agri

Is great for my IH574 :)

Staph wrote: »
    Anybody posting that they have better mpg/whatever with certain fuel companies need to post their figures. It not sufficient to just say you 'feel' there's a difference.
    I keep records of my fuel consumption and stop at various branded garages and there's no difference. I've posted my spreadsheet before with actual figures- no difference.

I have before with different vehicles/fuel brand etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Best value diesel can be got at any fuel station which is situated on your route to wherever you're going.

Driving to the cheapest fuel station is more expensive because you waste fuel and time getting there.

Just fill a full tank every time and you will get the best value fuel effortlessly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Agri

Is great for my IH574 :)

But it's lower cetane of 45, compared to 51 for derv, won't be the best for regular cars

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

CIP4 wrote: »

If only one could be certain that all the fuel comes from Whitegate. Some I believe comes from Monaghan or thereabouts. That is the stuff I try to avoid if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

pa990 wrote: »
    But it's lower cetane of 45, compared to 51 for derv, won't be the best for regular cars

Which is why it suits my tractor just fine :D

Advertisement