Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best insurer for Civic EK4/Glanza V

Options
  • 27-02-2016 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi This is my first thread so give me a chance.

Over the last few months ive been looking around to see what first car I could buy.Ive narrowed it down to A Honda civic ek4 vti or a toyota glanza v.I'm 17(18 next month) and it honestly wont be until im 19-21 till ill have near enough money for a car.I'm on as a named driver on a VW polo 1.2 for almost a year now and Ive been looking around on insurers but i cant seem to get insured.Boxy mo was a good one but they wont insure cars over 15 years old which is a huge bummer for me and with the glanza being a jap import life isnt going well for me.I know im being very ambitious about owning these cars but i am really just looking around.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Quinn/ Liberty always looked after me on my Glanza but with the way things are at the moment, i'd be tempted to say that aged 18 with 1 years named driving experience that you have two chances of insuring a Glanza; slim and none, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Theferrariguy5

Yeah true and being a JDM import wouldnt help either.They are also nutorious for being falsly registered and crashed.Ill give Liberty a try anyway but as in 18 year old i simply havnt got the money for a car yet.19 could be possible but still unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Yeah true and being a JDM import wouldnt help either.They are also nutorious for being falsly registered and crashed.Ill give Liberty a try anyway but as in 18 year old i simply havnt got the money for a car yet.19 could be possible but still unlikely

I wouldn't worry so nuch about it at the minute so as its over a year away

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Stick with the polo or similar till your in better position to afford the boy racer

Agreed the boy racer image really is an unfortunate steerotype that the civic and the glanza have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I'm with Liberty on a DC2 for the last few years.

Bear in mind that both the yokes you mention will probably be imports also. That will not help. Insurance companies hate imports.

I'm sorry to be pessimistic Ferrariguy but I'd say if anyone does quote at your age it will be insane.

Edit:Sorry just saw you posted about the imports.....

Year very true if only owning an import was easier :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Year very true if only owning an import was easier :/

It used to be, i had an evo 3 at 19 and changed ot for a 180sx at 21 and had no problem with insurance. Was driving a mazda mx3 the week i turned 17 and had my full licence within a few months and 2 years ncb in my own name by the time i got the evo. Im 30 now so its 11 years ago and ohh how the insurance market has changed.

Id get a few years ncb under your belt then look at the cars you want, not what you want to hear but probably your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Wasting your time worrying about it now. The car market fluctuates and the insurance market does the same. Wait til you have money to spend to worry about this.

If we took it in todays market, a new policy on a Glanza or an EK4 at that age will be next to impossible anyway. Only hope is probably buy a policy with Liberty on something else and swap on to the Civic/Glanza.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

millington wrote: »
    Only hope is probably buy a policy with Liberty on something else and swap on to the Civic/Glanza.

Just make sure you can make the swap. I was in a similar position where the car I wanted to swap on to would not be taken by my insurance company, they flat out refused to cover it as is their right. So you'd want to be sure they will insure it outright first.

As regards the money end of things, whatever the car costs, you'll want the same again to tax and insure it at your age. You can easily have any car you want, but you'll have to save hard for it. I don't mean that as a sob story, its just the reality if you want anything nice or unique in Ireland :( Its one thing to own the car, its quite another to have the monetary means to insure and run it. There's nothing worse than buying a car, as is quite common, and then basically running it into the ground as you don't have the money to maintain it. Case in point is most of the M5s / M3s in the country. There are very few people who earn enough here to properly maintain and look after such a car to keep it at enthusiast level. I costed one a while back and I think you're looking at close to €5k a year to keep it up to spec and on the road.

Not quite comparable to the Glanza but something to keep in mind if you want to do things right.

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    Just make sure you can make the swap. I was in a similar position where the car I wanted to swap on to would not be taken by my insurance company, they flat out refused to cover it as is their right. So you'd want to be sure they will insure it outright first.

You won't be sure it's just a risk you'll have to take unfortunately. Liberty in my own experience (and most of my friends) are the best for changing cars and usually the best for Jap stuff but it is always a risk whether they will say yes or no. They point blank refused me on my EM1 Civic VTi when I was 18 but never had a problem after that on all manners of Jap stuff.

Contrary to popular belief, they don't have to insure you on any car if you now own it but its the only option here really

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Liberty are by far your best bet, they'll only cover you if you swap onto a civic/glanza from something else though, they won't take one on as new business.

And an EK4 vti is an English import not a jap, it's actually the English domestic market version of an ek4 SiR, so much easier to insure.

Best bet is insure a polo or whatever for a couple of months in your own name then ring them and swap onto the civic etc. I'v always found them fairly sound to deal with and I'v always had jap performance cars.

JC01 wrote: »
    Liberty are by far your best bet, they'll only cover you if you swap onto a civic/glanza from something else though, they won't take one on as new business.

And an EK4 vti is an English import not a jap, it's actually the English domestic market version of an ek4 SiR, so much easier to insure.

Best bet is insure a polo or whatever for a couple of months in your own name then ring them and swap onto the civic etc. I'v always found them fairly sound to deal with and I'v always had jap performance cars.
    Yea VTi far handier insured than an SiR but in 2 years time when he can afford one it could be a different story

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Agreed the boy racer image really is an unfortunate steerotype that the civic and the glanza have

Well deserved image. Absolute knacker boxes!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JC01 wrote: »
    That was what I found trying to get my DC2 insured with them as a new customer. No joy and I'm an oulfella doing tiny milage with full no claims and no points.
    Well deserved image. Absolute knacker boxes!
    Genius bit of insight there. :rolleyes:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement