Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Travelling across France - How to pick most optimal/cheapest Toll route?

Options
  • 27-02-2016 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, quick question: Say I am driving across France tomorrow, is there any android apps you can suggest that can pick optimal routes and display total toll price for example?

Default google maps doesn't seem to do it.

I've heard best solution is to avoid tolls but there are specific tolls you should pay as it pays back in petrol cost.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

www.viamichelin.ie/ is good for planning
    En route I'd use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL&hl=en

Don't use something that will drain your data, plan first and then use navmii (has offline maps and is free)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

biko wrote: »
    www.viamichelin.ie/ is good for planning
    En route I'd use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL&hl=en

Don't use something that will drain your data, plan first and then use navmii (has offline maps and is free)

I am planning to pick up SIM card at airport on arrival, I don't need calls or texts, will ask for something with best data plan.

I might just go with the tolls.
    With tolls it's ~6 hour drive.
    Without tolls it's ~10 hour drive.
    It seems I am really stretching for deathwish here with 10 hours driving on other side of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

A lot of the tolls by pass towns that were in themselves bottlenecks. By the time you leave the motorway, slow down, potter though and get back at a decent pace, you'll lose the money in petrol you save versus tolls. If you're not in a hurry, I'd say take two days and enjoy it. Otherwise, keep it at motorway pace as long as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Agree with the above ^^ . Motorway tolls seem expensive on the face of it, but are well worth the spend for the time you will save in France. The only exception to this is the A8 east/west between Aix and Nice which can turn into a car park during the summer months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

arleitiss wrote: »
    Hey, quick question: Say I am driving across France tomorrow, is there any android apps you can suggest that can pick optimal routes and display total toll price for example?

Default google maps doesn't seem to do it.

I've heard best solution is to avoid tolls but there are specific tolls you should pay as it pays back in petrol cost.

Thanks.

Unless you are planning to stop somewhere off the beaten track or, frankly, have a masochistic streak my advice is to stay on the autoroutes. Hours spent behind assorted bimblers, shed-dragging tightwads and rustiques in underpowered trucks through tiny villages full of speed humps and roadworks adds hours to journeys and takes years off life expectancy.

There is a toll calculator on the SANEF web site.

Cherbourg to the Alps, a 1000km journey I do often, is €70 one way for the tolls. Talk about money well spent.

It's a pity you can't get the liber-t tag in Ireland, I've got one as I have a UK bank a/c so you can use the quick lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭The Ging and I

I travel a lot around France and I would strongly advise you to use the autoroutes. The old main roads go through that many speed changes its a challenge to keep up with them.The french police do use mobile radar checks and I know of people who were done for 3kph over the speed limit. Some sections are not tolled and you might string a cheaper route by investigating this.
    Bonne route.

Ended up travelling through tolls both ways.
    Well worth it, I liked the parks on motorway every few kilometers :D

Also never making mistake again of going into Alps with summer tires and no snow chains.

Advertisement