Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Laptop beeping

Options
  • 27-02-2016 2:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Wonder if you computer savvy people can help me out here. Bought a brand new HP 15 (a157sa) laptop two weeks ago with Windows 10 pre-installed. Since then it has been making this random "beep" noise and it is ****** annoying. Googled the problem, and apparently it means there is either a firmware problem or the hard-drive is about to fail. There was many opinions online, from just a speaker thing or cd-drive doing something, to the previously mentioned problems. I have not seen a popular answer so I'm wondering can someone here throw some light on it before I return it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

When you say beep is it the same sound as you have when you connect and disconnect a USB?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Elemonator wrote: »
    Wonder if you computer savvy people can help me out here. Bought a brand new HP 15 (a157sa) laptop two weeks ago with Windows 10 pre-installed. Since then it has been making this random "beep" noise and it is ****** annoying. Googled the problem, and apparently it means there is either a firmware problem or the hard-drive is about to fail. There was many opinions online, from just a speaker thing or cd-drive doing something, to the previously mentioned problems. I have not seen a popular answer so I'm wondering can someone here throw some light on it before I return it.

If it's a hardware issue the beep would be from the motherboard as opposed to the laptop speakers. Mute the sound and see if the beep re-occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

CMOS battery low?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Not quite, seems to be coming from internally.

The sound has been off!

CMOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Is there a pattern to the beeps?

HP have a hardware diagnostics tool.
    http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/pps/pl_ot_ob_ds_pd/HP_PC_Hardware_Diagnostics_cc/dt

I don't see any laptop with that model number on HP's site. Is a HP Envy?

Regarding the CMOS battery>There is an internal watch-type coin battery what stores the computers configuration information like date/time even when the main laptop power is flat. It's unlikely to be an issue.

• Advertisement

ressem wrote: »
    Is there a pattern to the beeps?

HP have a hardware diagnostics tool.
    http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/pps/pl_ot_ob_ds_pd/HP_PC_Hardware_Diagnostics_cc/dt

I don't see any laptop with that model number on HP's site. Is a HP Envy?

Regarding the CMOS battery>There is an internal watch-type coin battery what stores the computers configuration information like date/time even when the main laptop power is flat. It's unlikely to be an issue.

Thanks Ressem,

There is no pattern. Happens often one day, very few the next. Very high pitched beep but its definitely there.

http://www.pcworld.ie/product/hp-15af156sa-156-laptop-purple/329029/396.0.0

That is a link to the laptop. I'll try this diagnostic tool, just what I was looking for!

OK tried the diagnostic tool and everything passed. I googled the problem and it seems prevalent but none offer a solution. The beep sounds like the countdown from 24! I thought it was a battery full notification sound and I took the battery out. The beep isn't happening as often now. Only counted 2 with 30 mins but a further 2 happened within seconds of each other.

If num locks and cap lock lights are flashing with beeps you may have a problem with BIOS look to see if there are updates to your version of BIOS. Look up HP 15 beep codes in Google and first link will give you some troubleshooting sorry can't post link

jhud wrote: »
    If num locks and cap lock lights are flashing with beeps you may have a problem with BIOS look to see if there are updates to your version of BIOS. Look up HP 15 beep codes in Google and first link will give you some troubleshooting sorry can't post link

I did that, it didn't give much away. No flashing lights either which is strange. I swear I heard scratching coming from the HDD for 5 minutes today, s***ting myself now :(

Thanks!

If you can try and find out the make of hard drive you may get diagnostic software for it to test this out for issues. I would be backing up personal files you need just in case

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. I sent it back to PCWorld for checks on Friday.

Advertisement