Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol or Diesel Estate

Options
  • 26-02-2016 11:24pm

Some advice please.

Ive recently changed jobs and my commute has been shortened to 60km round trip per day, rural commute.

I want to change from my current Focus to an estate car. I have 2 large dogs that I want to keep in the boot when travelling.

Do you think I am in diesel territory with my commute?

Ill have a budget of around 12k so any suggestions would be appreciated. Id prefer petrol as the diesel Focus although serviced on time has given me expensive hardship.

After my current experience with Ford I dont wish to buy another.

Id appreciate some advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just to clarify, that's 30km each way, total 60km per day?
    Do you drive on the weekends?

Spending €12k plus the value of your focus, or just spending €12k?

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Its 60km altogether per day. Yes I drive on weekends. Living rural so need car even if I need a shop. Possible around another 80km at weekend.

Budget would be 12-13k.
    Thank you

So 1000 miles a year, 12 a year.
    I'd get a Hyundai i30 or Kia deed estate, reason for that is the DPF (if it even has one, some pre-facelift models don't) isn't bothered by non-motorway driving, very rare for one to give bother in one, the 1.6 CRDI is one of the most dependable small diesels out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 limerickgirl16

All I can say is I drive a Volvo V70 Diesel and it's awesome. Also over in London I saw Diesel cheaper than petrol in the pumps!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So 1000 miles a year, 12 a year.
    I'd get a Hyundai i30 or Kia deed estate, reason for that is the DPF (if it even has one, some pre-facelift models don't) isn't bothered by non-motorway driving, very rare for one to give bother in one, the 1.6 CRDI is one of the most dependable small diesels out there.

So you think I am in diesel territory still? I was hoping to avoid and return to petrol.
    I have had some trouble with diesel with injectors and apparently my DMF will have to be addressed as Im at the mileage. I was hoping a return to petrol would see some less hassle and expense.

Would the petrol version of the i30 be as reliable?

• Advertisement

You'd be in diesel territory in that you're not doing the tiny mileage that doesn't agree with diesels, you will definitely spend less on fuel.
    If you want to eliminate the risk of having stuff like a turbo and dmf and all that jazz, then a petrol should be considered. The way things are now though, you're not going to buy a petrol for noticibly less than a diesel.
    We got an i30 with 60k on it, and it had the full history with the car, it has 120000 miles on it now and hasn't needed turbo, dmf, injectors, egr or any of the things you'd be afraid of on a diesel.
    If you want to minimise risk, then by all means an i30 1.4 petrol would do the job, you will have 109bhp which is good for a 1.4 but you will pay more on tax and in fuel, petrol is more at the pumps and you will use more of it.
    Generally speaking a non turbo petrol should be much less risky than a turbo diesel.

Does the extra expense of diesels (price, extras like dpf,dmf etc and extra servicing) not cancel out the "extra" expense of a petrol though?
    I mean if a petrol version is a couple of grand cheaper to buy thats a good few trips to the petrol pumps. Over the long term is diesel still cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

All I can say is I drive a Volvo V70 Diesel and it's awesome. Also over in London I saw Diesel cheaper than petrol in the pumps!

Diesel is cheaper than petrol here too??

TheTorment wrote: »
    Does the extra expense of diesels (price, extras like dpf,dmf etc and extra servicing) not cancel out the "extra" expense of a petrol though?
    I mean if a petrol version is a couple of grand cheaper to buy thats a good few trips to the petrol pumps. Over the long term is diesel still cheaper?

only if these things actually fail though. they're not a dead cert to need doing.
    the price gap that used to exist between buying petrol and diesel cars has narrowed a lot.

Advertisement