Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birkenstocks - reviews please!

Options
  • 26-02-2016 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi girls

I need some super comfy sandals later this year to do a LOT of walking in.

Have any of you worn Birkenstocks?

I'm looking at the Gizeh range.
    Not the best looking sandal but they are supposed to be comfortable...

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I have a pair for around the house and they are sooo comfy. I think mine are called arizona or something. I wear mine with socks though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I have a pair of birkenstocks to wear around the house too. They are comfy but tbh I'm not sure I'd wear them for a really long walk. I have sandals from Clarks that are comfier for that. I think you'd want something light with cushioning for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

miezekatze wrote: »
    I have a pair of birkenstocks to wear around the house too. They are comfy but tbh I'm not sure I'd wear them for a really long walk. I have sandals from Clarks that are comfier for that. I think you'd want something light with cushioning for that.

Ok, thanks for that feedback - walking sandals are all so hideous to look at, the Birkenstocks were about the most 'attractive' I could find!

It looks like I'm going to have ugly feet in Rome :(

Tasden wrote: »
    I have a pair for around the house and they are sooo comfy. I think mine are called arizona or something. I wear mine with socks though :o

You sexy beast, you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

You sexy beast, you :p

I do try :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

I wore my birkis (one of the type of Birkenstock) in Budapest. I walked miles everyday and had no issue. Found the Birkenstocks amazing. Lightweight and comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Coincidentally, I ordered some Birkenstocks earlier this week and they are arriving today. I went for the mayari style, thought they looked a bit nicer than the gizeh. I read lots of reviews and most were positive so I would say go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I have a pair for about 15 years now and they still look and feel as good as the day I bought them. Have amazing arch support which is important when walking about while on hols. Love mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Coincidentally, I ordered some Birkenstocks earlier this week and they are arriving today. I went for the mayari style, thought they looked a bit nicer than the gizeh. I read lots of reviews and most were positive so I would say go for it!

Where did you order from, was thinking of getting a second pair, just to get a diff colour !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

solerina wrote: »
    Where did you order from, was thinking of getting a second pair, just to get a diff colour !!

I got them from Amazon, they were a bit cheaper. I'm already thinking about getting another pair in a different style!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I spent all of last summer trying to break my birkenstocks in, I didn't find them very comfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Tasden wrote: »
    Why don't you try Ecco? They have some lovely wedge ones (very low wedge) but they are super comfy for walking all day and much less ugly than Birkenstocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Would you consider FitFlops? They have a lot of styles now, not just the original flip-flops. I've had several pairs and have found them very comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

Merrells would be good for a lot of walking... They've branched out from hiking sandal into more casual wear and friends with foot problems love them!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Mephisto another brand to check out. Super comfy.

Great advice here ladies, thanks so much for all the replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I had a pair and didn't find them too comfy. As others have mentioned they have good arch support, but I found that the arch actually rubbed on the inside of my foot and caused blisters. I do have quite low arches, so I was probably pressing on the arch support quite a lot. Just something to bear in mind, depending on the kind of feet you have :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I just bought a pair and am slowly breaking them in. I wouldnt go on any major walk in them until I've worn them a lot more, so bear this in mind.

The lady in the shop told me that Birkenstocks are more of an investment - they take a good while to properly break in, but once you've done that, they'll last forever and be extremely comfortable.

I just bought a pair and am slowly breaking them in. I wouldnt go on any major walk in them until I've worn them a lot more, so bear this in mind.

The lady in the shop told me that Birkenstocks are more of an investment - they take a good while to properly break in, but once you've done that, they'll last forever and be extremely comfortable.

All reviews I've read have said the same thing, extremely uncomfortable to start but after a couple of months, like walking on air.
    That's why I'm looking now, my trip isn't actually until September!

Thanks for the tip. The more I look at Birkenstocks, the more I like the look of them so I hope to buy some soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I got great walking sandals in M&S the past few years. Really comfy, nice colours & don't look too bad either. They have a similar support style to Birkenstocks but not as hard as I find them. Might be worth a look. I didn't need to break them in at all really either which is a plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I love my Birkenstock Bostons (or my corrective shoes as my OH calls them :rolleyes:) but I find myself gripping a lot with my toes in them which means some of toes get a little bit chaffed sometimes. They are very comfortable though and I love the casual look of them with jeans and a knit.

I love my Birkenstock Bostons (or my corrective shoes as my OH calls them :rolleyes:) but I find myself gripping a lot with my toes in them which means some of toes get a little bit chaffed sometimes. They are very comfortable though and I love the casual look of them with jeans and a knit.

Haha I havent even shown my ones to my BF yet - just got them a few weeks ago on holidays with friends.

I just know he's going to pass some smart remark!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jheneaiko

I love Birkenstock Arizonas. I have these ones.
    i.imgur.com/iRvPfnc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I bought a pair of Birkinstocks a few years ago before going to New York, I thought I had them broken in, but they chafed and gave me awful blisters. I ended up throwing them in the bin. The sandal I keep going back to year after year is a pair of Impanema sandals I bought in Debenhams yonks ago. They are similar to these

http://www.ipanema.uk.com/product/218/Women

They look like they should be really uncomfortable but the sole is so flexible, they're super comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've worn birkies for years and find them so comfortable. I'd walk miles in mine and find them great for going on holidays. There are different arch sizes so it's important to get the first pair fitted for you and after that but them wherever is cheapest. I have to go to a size 3 in them. Tk maxx usually stock them in late spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Love them.

Have 3 pairs of Arizona in Navy, Taupe and Burgundy Patent, and one pair of leopard print Madrid.

Arizonas really comfy especially in the sun - can walk for miles in them and the cork keeps feet cool. Madrid less comfy so wouldn't walk too far in them.

They last for years but can get very stinky. A bicarbonate of soda paste overnight in a freezer bag in the freezer gets rid of odours.

Has anyone bought this style before;

http://www.littletreeshoes.com/gizeh-mirror-silver-birko-flor/

Is the piece between the toes comfortable or is it likely to cuase blisters?

I've only worn the Madrid style before.

These are the style I was thinking of getting as all the reviews have been very good. I've seen no feedback (so far) that says they middle part rubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I have these ones, in a flowery pattern and I adore them. Walked the feet off myself in Italy during the summer and found them so comfortable. Like walking on air.

I actually didn't have any problem breaking them in, they fit me perfectly. I think they've become quite trendy recently, a lot of my friends have them.

• Advertisement

Digs wrote: »
    I have these ones, in a flowery pattern and I adore them. Walked the feet off myself in Italy during the summer and found them so comfortable. Like walking on air.

I actually didn't have any problem breaking them in, they fit me perfectly. I think they've become quite trendy recently, a lot of my friends have them.

Digs are they the cream ones with the rose pattern? They're the exact pair I was thinking of getting - so pretty - and you walked around Italy which is my exact reason for buying.

Thanks! Think I'll definitely go for these now :D

Advertisement