Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH RAIL STUDENT PRICES

Options
  • 26-02-2016 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Just noticed the price of a student return to Belfast from connolly is €40 yet the adult price is €29.98!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

otterj wrote: »
    Just noticed the price of a student return to Belfast from connolly is €40 yet the adult price is €29.98!!!

Student prices are cheaper, the adult open return is €55. However the adult fare is subject to a promotional discount online.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Student prices aren't a very impressive discount. Quite marginal in most cases and don't reflect the differences in income between adults and students. It's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Joys of a jointly operated railway, total incompetence, the price was doubled for students a few years ago. I suspect it was NI calling the shorts on that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that the terms and conditions on students tickets are different to the internet fares.
    Taco Chips wrote: »
    Student prices aren't a very impressive discount. Quite marginal in most cases and don't reflect the differences in income between adults and students. It's a shame.
    As a student aged 39 I was in a much better financial position than I was when I was working age 18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Taco Chips wrote: »

It is a joke compared to most European Countries. Most European countries give students half price rail tickets. In Germany, the semester ticket for the entire city transport network of U-Bahns, S-Bahns etc can be as low as €100 for the 3/4 months.

In Ireland we get maybe 20-25% off Dublin Bus, which is actually more expensive than if you have a tax saver ticket. That reduces your fare by about 50%.

There is a sizeable minority who believe students shouldnt even get a discount for public transport. IMO the student discount should only apply for students in HEA institutions. In Germany, the students discount on travel only apply to state owned colleges. I believe we should not allow "English language students", who are here on a "temporary visa" to use the student discount. As a fair amount of them are only here to work. Make them pay full fare and give students in HEA institutions a far better discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭otterj

Why dont the students that are here to work use the tax saver the if its cheaper?

otterj wrote: »
    Why dont the students that are here to work use the tax saver the if its cheaper?
    Many students don't have jobs and many of those that do have employers that don't participate in Taxsaver. In any case, Taxsaver benefits high earners the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Students can get a return for 31:50 from the ticket office.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Are you sure? No such fare here: http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dublin-belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭wally79

I think the taxsaver is meant to encourage working people onto public transport. They would generally have more options than students due to their higher incomes so it takes higher incentives to attract them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Hilly Bill wrote: »

€31.50 covers return to Portadown, Belfast is €40.00.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Heaven forbid the people who pay tax might save something for their contribution to the running costs of the country.

Lets just abolish tax saver, make the people who fund the country pay more, and discount the students who make no contribution more.

Let's create a something for nothing culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In my day we had to walk to Belfast with no shoes!

devnull wrote: »
    Heaven forbid the people who pay tax might save something for their contribution to the running costs of the country.

Lets just abolish tax saver, make the people who fund the country pay more, and discount the students who make no contribution more.

Let's create a something for nothing culture.

No one was suggesting to scrap the Tax Saver scheme, at all. It was just pointed out that the student discount is really a meagre amount and not in line with some other European countries. It doesn't reflect the large differences in income between students and workers.

Victor wrote: »

Yes. after 9 :30.

GM228 wrote: »
    €31.50 covers return to Portadown, Belfast is €40.00.

You can get it for 31:50 at the booking office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I actually had the student Leap card. I got rid of it, its useless. There is no savings unless you shop often and your college ID suffices for that. With the unmarked adult Leap card, its not as big a bummer if I lose it and it doesn't cost anything to issue nor does it expire in a short time space.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Elemonator wrote: »
    I actually had the student Leap card. I got rid of it, its useless. There is no savings unless you shop often and your college ID suffices for that. With the unmarked adult Leap card, its not as big a bummer if I lose it and it doesn't cost anything to issue nor does it expire in a short time space.

You have a much lower weekly cap.

€7.50 cheaper on DB and €10 cheaper on combined. Still not exactly good value given that the card costs €15 in the first place. €30 per week just on transport is nearly half of most students weekly income.

Advertisement