Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car from N ireland- final cost?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭xabi

closer to 33K if you pay asking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Isn't there something about if there's less than 6000 miles on the clock it's considered new?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

22,995.00 GBP = 29,189.28 EUR according to exchange rates on xe.com (which you won't get so you're gonna pay more than this - closer to €30k).

VRT is about €4k by my calculations so I reckon you're gonna pay €34,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks. So something like this would be about €27.5k roughly? If it's 4k vrt.
    http://m.autotrader.ie/used-cars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201607241134017

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Soarer wrote: »
    Isn't there something about if there's less than 6000 miles on the clock it's considered new?

Yes if the car has less than 6000 miles or is less than 6 months old then it is deemed brand new to Revenue and you will have to pay VAT on it also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yes if the car has less than 6000 miles or is less than 6 months old then it is deemed brand new to Revenue and you will have to pay VAT on it also.

Yeah, but you get the UK VAT taken off the price in NI.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Thanks. So something like this would be about €27.5k roughly? If it's 4k vrt.
    http://m.autotrader.ie/used-cars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201607241134017

Correct, but I'd never pay the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

xabi wrote: »

Thanks. I plan not to either but using it as a guide. Will pay cash too so should help reduce price. Have a volvo s40, 2005 1.8 litre petrol, 225km in good condition but thinking I'll get more selling privately than on trade in.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Thanks. I plan not to either but using it as a guide. Will pay cash too so should help reduce price. Have a volvo s40, 2005 1.8 litre petrol, 225km in good condition but thinking I'll get more selling privately than on trade in.

They won't take an Irish reg as trade in in NI(or they might and just insult you with price), best selling privately and going north with cash. You should price the same car south of the border, difference might not be as much as you think all things considered.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah, but you get the UK VAT taken off the price in NI.

From what I've read a fair few dealers don't want the agro of doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

bazz26 wrote: »
    From what I've read a fair few dealers don't want the agro of doing it.

I don't know what amount of aggro is in it for them tbh.
    When I bought my car in NI, the dealer told me that they had no choice but to export it VAT free, and I would have to pay Irish VAT. There was no option of me or them deciding where to pay the VAT.

From what I remember, it was one form that had to be completed by the garage, don't think it was much hassle. I then took this form to the Revenue office when I was importing the car into Ireland, and I had to write a cheque for VRT and another for VAT.

So the OP might not have any option either?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't know what amount of aggro is in it for them tbh.
    When I bought my car in NI, the dealer told me that they had no choice but to export it VAT free, and I would have to pay Irish VAT. There was no option of me or them deciding where to pay the VAT.

From what I remember, it was one form that had to be completed by the garage, don't think it was much hassle. I then took this form to the Revenue office when I was importing the car into Ireland, and I had to write a cheque for VRT and another for VAT.

So the OP might not have any option either?

As I said it was only something I read rather than experienced.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

xabi wrote: »

Don't forget that the NI & UK market is not like ours. You'll do well to get a couple of hundred off the asking price.

Always budget for the asking price in the uk/ni and any discount you then get is a bonus.

Advertisement