Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance / Accident / NCT

Options
  • 26-02-2016 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Hi all. My wife was in a small accident a few days ago, without going into too much detail neither side is accepting responsibility and the damage was minor. My wife did however ask the other guy to get back to her with a quote for the damage with the possible intention of settling without insurance as his car would only have a few scratches on the passenger side door panels. He ignored her texts and has made a claim against her.
    I had worse damage fixed on my car through a ford main dealer recently and the cost was approx.€500 so even though she didn't think she was at fault we'd have given him this much to keep away from insurance so all rather frustrating! She also noticed that his NCT was out of date. As he's acting maggot can this be used against him in any way with the insurers? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If he's claiming off her then let her claim off him and let the insurers settle among themselves. Her insurer may wipe the claim from her claims history if she refunds them for any payout they make. I don't think his expired NCT will do much unless his car's condition was a factor which led to the collision but by all means tell her insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

If he's acting the maggot. I'd report it to the Garda.
    I think it is a pointable offence to drive a car without a current NCT
    Don't under any circumstances admit liability to him or the insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Surely an expired NCT (assuming that its out by more than a couple of days) will make it hard for him offload a claim against him to his insureres?

If your wife goes down the road of claiming, won't they use the lack of a nCT to pass it straight back to him as its against T&Cs?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,366 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The status of your NCT has no bearing on your ability to claim off a third party. OP is clutching at straws.

Unless they've suddenly introduced a rule which says that if you crash into me and it's your fault, I can't claim off your policy because my NCT has expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If neither side is accepting liability why so quick to pay him off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Report it to your own insurer. Was your own car damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

If neither side is accepting liability why so quick to pay him off?

She already has a claim on her policy from 12 months ago and I had a car stolen a few years back, it would generally go against my principles to pay when not at fault but the future insurance costs will be astronomical. I personally think they are both equally liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

mattb74 wrote: »
    She already has a claim on her policy from 12 months ago and I had a car stolen a few years back, it would generally go against my principles to pay when not at fault but the future insurance costs will be astronomical. I personally think they are both equally liable.

if she has a claim only 12 months old then her NCB is mullered anyway. may as well leave it to the insurers in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

mattb74 wrote: »

If you pay for the metal, you're opening yourself up for a possible injury claim that you cannot then defend

Report it to your insurers, deny liability and see where it comes to a conclusion

Advertisement