Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test tips

Options
  • 26-02-2016 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi, I'm so sorry I've posted so many threads in the last few days I'm just desperate for last minute advice!

In 4 weeks I will be taking my driving test for the first time. I'm super nervous and I am not sure if I am ready. I need to pass as my insurance will be out and I won't be able to afford more. If I fail, it's game over.
    I have booked more lessons and pretests so I will have about 6 of these done before my test,.
    I am looking for test tips especially in relation to roundabouts, turnabout and my personal worst, the reverse around a corner. Any tips would be greatly accepted. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Good luck with your test
    I also have my first driving test in four weeks
    I am feeling nervous to. I'm afraid of making silly mistakes from being nervous
    Where are you doing your test

The few tips I can give you is mirrors, keep checking them, when you think you checked them enough check them even more
    Regarding roundabouts, take your time, do them in 2nd gear and check your mirrors, stick to your lane and check mirrors coming off the roundabout
    The same with your turnabout, take your time and keep checking your mirrors and blind spot remember do it at a slow pace and take your time. If you hit the curb you will get a grade 2 mark, if you go up on the curb its a grade 3 so take it very slow
    Don't move off without looking over your shoulder check your blind spot and don't forget to indicate, it's little things like this that grades can add up.
    Go over your hand signals, these will definitely be on the test
    And learn under the bonnet and all the secondary controls
    I no it seems a lot to take in, try and not panic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

The biggest tip I can give you is don't panic. If you've done the lessons and the pre tests you know all the stuff you're supposed to be doing and not doing. You know you need to check your mirrirs, indicate etc. What will cause you to fail is getting worked up and forgetting what you know.

Do as much driving round the test routes as you can between now and then so they are familiar. Try to get to the stage where driving on those roads is nothing new, and you are completely happy to be on them before the test.

Take a few deep breaths in the waiting room, remember the testers don't want to fail you. They want to know anyone they pass will be safe on the roads, so stay calm, keep the head and have enough practice done that you automatically do the correct things while manouvering etc. And keep taking the deep breaths.

Honestly, if someone has the prep work done it's the nerves and panic that cause failures. Being as familiar as possible with the routes and getting as much practice as you can in the next four weeks will really help this.

Advertisement