Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dont Buy a car from <snip>

Options
  • 25-02-2016 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I purchased a BMW premium select car last July from <snip>. I did my deal with a guy called <snip>(nice fello). when I was buying the car they told me it had connected drive and all about the functions of it (fab). approx. one month ago I went to BMW Waterford to have warranty work done and because the connected drive never worked I asked them to fix it for me. They said No Problem but after three weeks contacted me to tell me that there was no connected drive in my car. WHAT.. I contacted <snip> on This and they told me they would try to get this fixed and get back to me. Now they have come back to me to basically tell me that they are not doing anything about it and that's it. Meanwhile I have a car that is not what I paid for. I've lost a month of warranty from it being in a garage trying to fix it and the fantastic <snip> wont do anything. Not Good enough from any company.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

johnshock1 wrote: »
    Now they have come back to me to basically tell me that they are not doing anything about it and that's it.

Why is it that I don't believe these were the exact words from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

What type of BMW and what year is it?
    I had a 2013 5 series that had connected drive on the main menu but when I asked about activating the features the dealer told me it was not actually connected and couldn't be and it was late 2013 when the models were actually enabled in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 johnshock1

its a 2013 6 series and your correct my only problem is I was told by them it was there and all about how it works so much to the fact that BMW Waterford have spent 3 weeks trying to get it to work

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This story is a bit muddled to me.

Surely the car either originally came with Connected Drive from the factory or didn't. How does one garage take 3 weeks to tell you they cannot fix it if it never came with it?

its showing on spec as being there but BMW Ireland have said it actually isn't after all the work done. its a bit of a joke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

bazz26 wrote: »
    This story is a bit muddled to me.

Surely the car either originally came with Connected Drive from the factory or didn't. How does one garage take 3 weeks to tell you they cannot fix it if it never came with it?

I think the same ( muddled story).

If the OP bought the car last July, how come they didn't notice until three weeks ago that the function wasn't working?

Not sure if it's kosher naming companies and individuals like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is the car a UK import by any chance? The Connected Drive service may not be available here for your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Patww79 wrote: »
    If they have sold under a false description and aren't remedying their lie then no point protecting them either though.

Id say its more a mistake than a lie to be fair, <snip> are a very reputable company

I tried to get it to work but don't live near a BMW garage so I decided that when I needed to go with service issues I would have it looked at no big deal just simply waiting until I needed to visit service.

• Advertisement

And that's why I wrote this. they told me it had and now it hasn't so it not me who is wrong I simply want the spec I paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

It sounds like its there in the menu so like i said sound like a mistake, you cant say they are not reputable for making a mistake. To be fair though they should be offering something by way of compensation

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have a read of this, it might shed some light on it. Particular the latter posts.
    http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43615#/forumsite/21199/topics/43615?page=2

My car was a may 2013 5 series ex BMW Ireland.
    If I remember correctly connected drive flashes up on the start up screen but when I asked the dealer I was told no services were available and couldn't be enabled.
    TBH I would guess it was more a mistake than deliberately misleading you OP. Most sales people know little enough about the cars. It is how you were dealt with afterwards that is important. If you are unhappy with the supplying dealer and get no where, ring BMW customer services, if you still get no where contact BMW Ireland.
    You may not get the feature working,at best you will get a goodwill gesture.I would guess but if you haven't missed this feature so far it's not the end of the world.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

carsfan wrote: »
    My car was a may 2013 5 series ex BMW Ireland.
    If I remember correctly connected drive flashes up on the start up screen but when I asked the dealer I was told no services were available and couldn't be enabled.
    TBH I would guess it was more a mistake than deliberately misleading you OP. Most sales people know little enough about the cars. It is how you were dealt with afterwards that is important. If you are unhappy with the supplying dealer and get no where, ring BMW customer services, if you still get no where contact BMW Ireland.
    You may not get the feature working,at best you will get a goodwill gesture.I would guess but if you haven't missed this feature so far it's not the end of the world.

Thanks for the heads up but it was sold to me as part of the package and now they've figured it out and I feel should have more that that's it on this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Just curious - but you've had the car for 8 months, how are you only noticing now that its not there? If no one had told you otherwise would it matter?

Just curious - but you've had the car for 8 months, how are you only noticing now that its not there? If no one had told you otherwise would it matter?

tried to work it but figured it was faulty so waited till service needed to go with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Meh, not worthy of the rant IMO. Unfair to the dealer too.

Many BMWs will have online, concierge and connected drive options in the iDrive, but may not be enabled/available in certain areas. Sounds like someone in your original dealers might have seen it in the menu and then described what the system does. Likely a simple mistake.

The fact that you didn't bother to get it working in the first 7 months would indicate its something you can live without and is a non-issue at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I understand the OP has said they were waiting for a service to get connected drive fixed but why wait 7months patlrticularly as it never worked. Even on test drives.
    When the salesman was talking up the feature did you not ask to see it in action?

You think a 2013 6 series in 2016 with and without connected drive has a price difference?
    You think its fair to say " Dont Buy a car from <snip>" on Ireland's most visited motors forum over an incredibly trivial issue 8 months on?

You think a 2013 6 series in 2016 with and without connected drive has a price difference?
    You think its fair to say " Dont Buy a car from <snip>" on Ireland's most visited motors forum over an incredibly trivial issue 8 months on?

yes I do and I have asked for a resolve and not got one. 8 months or 12 months the fact is I was sold something I don't have

OP was the car in the dealer for 3 weeks for warranty work? If so, what else was wrong?

Do you have a copy of the original advert? Was the option listed? Or was it just talked about when the option popped up on the iDrive?

carsfan wrote: »
    OP was the car in the dealer for 3 weeks for warranty work? If so, what else was wrong?

I brought it in for ambient light not working and an update to the aircon system the fact its there 3weeks if for comp part to arrive from Germany and I might ad it will be four weeks this coming Tuesday.

• Advertisement

^^ I'd be more annoyed about that than the original issue.

Advertisement