Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Quantum 70 Comms Fault - Panel Cannot SET

Options
  • 25-02-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A bit of background:
    I bought my house with this alarm system installed back in October. The previous owner left the code to arm/disarm it (I think this is the User Code?).
    For about 3 months it was working fine with no problems.

One night in January I woke around 3am to hear a long beep coming from the panel every 5seconds or so. The power light, amber warning light, and a blue light beside the Lock symbol were all illuminated. The error message read "Comms Fault / Panel cannot SET / Contact Engineer". I put in my user code and the beeping alarm stopped and blue light went off, although the amber warning light stayed on.
    I went back to bed and the next morning it was back to normal, no amber light.

This happened again a few weeks later, and a few times since then. Occasionally the warning light would still be on in the morning and when I try to arm the system, it gives the above error message.

It went off again on Monday night and since then the amber warning light has stayed on and I can't arm the system when leaving the house.

From reading on here, I managed to get into the engineer menu (I think?) using the default 4567 code.

When I exit the engineer menu, it gives the error:
    RF Comms Fault
    SB1 SABB1
    SB1 Comms Lost
    Faults Found

I had a look through the various menus in the enginer menu but didn't really know what I was looking for, and didn't want to end up doing anything that might set off the main alarm, especially on a weeknight.

I found the user manual on the HKC site but it doesn't have any info on troubleshooting errors.

I saw it mentioned on a previous thread that SABB1 refers to the bell box outside on the wall?

Anyone any ideas on what the problem(s) might be, or how to solve?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Sounds like you have a wireless bell box and the batteries up there may need changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

would there not have been a low battery warning of some kind before the comms were lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Yes you are correct, was there one? We have come across a few of these Wireless bell boxes faulty and i would get a professional to check your one.

No, or at least there was never any warning message or light when I went to arm/disarm the system before the errors started.

I just went out and looked at the bell box and there's no light flashing. I'm not really sure if there should be a light if the battery had charge though, or only if there is a problem?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

would there not have been a low battery warning of some kind before the comms were lost?

I have seen this happen on earlier version with both internal & external bells falling off with no prior warning.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    I have seen this happen on earlier version with both internal & external bells falling off with no prior warning.
    by "falling off" do you mean the battery in them dying?
    are those error messages consistent with dead batteries?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes battery totally dead in both devices. No low battery warnings prior to devices being lost.

thanks, is replacing the battery in both easy enough or does it require an engineer for any fitting or subsequent configuration?

Easy enough. The devices should come back online themselves.

Advertisement