Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Smart TV 2014 or 2015?

Options
  • 25-02-2016 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have been given the choice of a Samsung UE43J5500 (2015 model) and a UE40H6400 (2014 model). Both cost €489.00. I am wondering which I should get. The 40-43 inch screen size does not bother me but I am wondering about getting apps like RTÉ Player and everything. I know the UE43J5500 does not have it yet but RTÉ say the app is in its late stages of development. My question is should I get the 2015 one with the new Tizen OS and have it that bit more future proofed or would it be more beneficial to go to the 2014 model seeing as it is that bit smarter with voice control and 3D etc. Also can anyone say which one is better for someone like me. I just want to use saorview, scart for old skybox and watch RTÉ Player and 4oD (is 4oD available in Ireland on either the old or new OS?) from time to time. Also does anyone know does the 2D-3D converter actually work on the 40H6400?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 foxyboy

In the market myself, and have been looking at

richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40h6400/sams-ue40h6400 £399
    and
    richersounds.com/product/tv---all/hisense/ltdn40k321/hise-ltdn40k321uwts £349 4k but not as good app support

Samsung do offer all the Smart TV ondemand apps which others dont. But i am not sure that you will be able to have irish tv apps & uk tv apps co-exist, it might be one or the other ! If the can co-exist by installing one set, resetting country and install other set then you should be able to have them working ok using a smartdns provider like adfreetime.
    I cant get confirmation that this can even be done though

Just because a tv is a new model does not make it better, you will struggle to find a bad word said about the ue40h6400
    Be careful regarding scart as the newer models do not have any !
    richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue43j5500/sams-ue43j5500 £369
    samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/hd-tvs/UE43J5500AKXXU

May i ask where you are sourcing the ue40h6400 for 489e ?
    Richersounds.ie in belfast will give a 6yr warrantly which is very tempting,
    i have also found the hisense for a crazy price if your ok with 1yr warranty
    appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/ltdn40k321uwtseu/hisense-ltdn40k321uwtseu

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

I ended up buying the Samsung UE43J5500AKXU from Powercity after all. The 489e for the H6400 was a mistake by the shop. It is actually out of stock. I recommend using pricespy dot ie It is brilliant and finds you the best price. I am going to use a scart to RCA for my old skybox. That's all I need on it really. I found that any television I was looking at was best priced on powercity dot ie (I cant link it as I am a new user) by a long way. They have most good televisions in stock and cheap, quick delivery! Also their customer service get back to you within about 20 mins even when I ordered my tv from them last night at around 9 pm they rang within 10 mins to confirm and said I will get it Tuesday/Wednesday.

Advertisement