Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car registration

Options
  • 25-02-2016 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for some quick information. I have been away in Scotland for the last 6.5 years as a student (4) and then working (2.5). Came home last sunday the 21st.
    I have been looking at the revenue websites but bit confused as to exactly what I have to do to import and register my car. If anybody knows it off the top of their heads could they step through it logically. Do I bring all my paper work when I go to the NCT centre do I need all the paperwork and proof, the website says I have to pay my vrt there but I am doing the transfer of residence exemption forms. Any help would be much appreciated

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

unless you got a refund when you exported the car then you won't have to pay

You will get the old reg number back, but you obviously can't put the old plates back on till you've actually reregistered it.

I'm not certain on the procedure of registering it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Sorry forgot to say that I bought the car in the UK just over two years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need to apply to Revenue for VRT exemption under transfer of residency. They will look for evidence that you were resident abroad in the form of payslips, tax returns, rent/mortgage, how long you have owned the car, etc. Once you satisfy their criteria they will issue you a VRT exemption approval letter. You present this letter at the time of the car's VRT inspection at the NCT centre. They will process it meaning their is no VRT registration fee to pay and issue you an Irish registration number. Then you can go and get registration number plates done you at a motor factors and a day or two later tax the car online. If the car was originally exported from Ireland then it will get it's original Irish registration number back.

Just be aware that if you were a full time student in the UK for a certain length of time this time will not count against VRT exemption. It will need to be from the period when you were either a part time student or working full time afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

bazz26 wrote: »
    You need to apply to Revenue for VRT exemption under transfer of residency. They will look for evidence that you were resident abroad in the form of payslips, tax returns, rent/mortgage, how long you have owned the car, etc. Once you satisfy their criteria they will issue you a VRT exemption approval letter. You present this letter at the time of the car's VRT inspection at the NCT centre. They will process it meaning their is no VRT registration fee to pay and issue you an Irish registration number. Then you can go and get registration number plates done you at a motor factors and a day or two later tax the car online. If the car was originally exported from Ireland then it will get it's original Irish registration number back.

Just be aware that if you were a full time student in the UK for a certain length of time this time will not count against VRT exemption. It will need to be from the period when you were either a part time student or working full time afaik.

Thanks Baz, yeah i was working when i bought the car and have been working since 2013 so i assume it will be okay. Just after finding the VRT/NCT site which is alot clearer than the revenue one. Think I have it all sussed now. Is it okay to drive the car on the roads here, my UK insurance still insures me for 3 months

wellboss wrote: »
    Sorry forgot to say that I bought the car in the UK just over two years ago

Oh sorry, for some reason I thought you were bringing an originally Irish car back here.
    You have 30 days to get sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Oh sorry, for some reason I thought you were bringing an originally Irish car back here.
    You have 30 days to get sorted.

Application must be made within 7 days to Revenue.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/tax-relief-transfer-residence.html
    If you are transferring residence from within the EU, you must make an application to your local Revenue Office within seven days of the vehicle arriving in the State.

Jaysus I'm full of misinformation today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Jaysus I'm full of misinformation today

We all have those days!

Advertisement