Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby zantac and reflux

Options
  • 25-02-2016 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

Just wondering g if anyone else baby is on the above. Little man was prescribed 0.25 ml 3 times a day when he weighed 9lb 10oz. Thus was 3 weeks ago. Worked for about 5 days and then reflux came back. Told doctor who said to persist for another 3 weeks with him.

He is now close to 11lb and on same dosage and symptoms getting v bad again. Reading about zantac with babies it seems it's v weight sensitive regarding dose, just wondering what amount other ppl are giving babies that suffer with reflux as don't think he is getting neat enough now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Speak to your pharmacist about dosage if baby has gained weight, definitely. We had to up dosage as baby gained but I can't even remember what he was on by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I don't remember dosage either. I know we used it alongside baby gaviscon and it did work. Definitely speak with pharmacist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

We are going to pharmacy today to weigh him and speak about his dosage

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

We had our little one on it for 14 months.

First point I'll make is that I presume your pharmacist has told you that it has a 28 day shelf life? We could only get it in 300ml bottles, didn't seem to come in anything smaller. Although we would have pushed 28-38 days out of a bottle, I definitely noticed that once we passed the 28 day mark - say after 30/32 days - she started to get bad again. Thought it was my imagination, but it happened time and again, so clearly it does lose some of it's efficacy after the 28 day mark.

Definitely chat to the pharmacist and the GP about the dosage. I know hers rose up slightly as she got bigger. I can't remember exact numbers, but one of my siblings is a pharmacist and both she and my doctor did tell me at one point that there is a max amount that they can prescribe for babies anyway, so you can only take it so far. I think, while it is weight-sensitive, once you're on slightly higher amounts (for a baby) it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Our little one had silent reflux - what exactly does your little guy have? Zantac worked best for her, but that's not to say that it solved everything. It helped a lot. But we had to hold her up for 20 mins after feeds, tip up the head of her cot, do our best to avoid car journeys straight after bottles. We changed to easy digest SMA and winded her several times during a bottle to try and help it. Never worried about her becoming reliant on a bottle or feed to go to sleep, because we couldn't lie her directly down after she was fed (one minor bonus to the whole thing!) Once it had not fully resolved itself at 12 weeks, I knew we were in for the long haul. As time passed and she became more upright, then moved to solids, then started crawling and walking, it got better and better (she's 20 months now).

Might be time to check with the GP again about other options? Also, I was a slow learner on this one - those bottles are 30-sthg eur a go, every month or so - you can claim prescription tax back on them at the end of the year. My GP used to prescribe 2-3 months worth of them at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

We had to up the dose as he grew...but then he reached the max dose so we had to switch to losec.
    Massive improvement since then. Perhaps asking about losec too when talking to the pharmacist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

WittyName1 wrote: »
    We had to up the dose as he grew...but then he reached the max dose so we had to switch to losec.
    Massive improvement since then. Perhaps asking about losec too when talking to the pharmacist.

Cheers, talking to a pharmacist today and they recommend 0.6 for his current weight, huge diff to what he was on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

At 11 lbs my dd was prescribed .5 × 3tds.

Turned out she was severely allergic to it but she is on zoton since (after a few months on losec)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Just to advise you certain things can flare up reflux. Such as teething or a cold or vaccinations.

My dd is 9 months now and still has reflux unfortunately, it's flaring up badly as she had teeth popping through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

stuchyg wrote: »
    Just wondering g if anyone else baby is on the above. Little man was prescribed 0.25 ml 3 times a day when he weighed 9lb 10oz. Thus was 3 weeks ago. Worked for about 5 days and then reflux came back. Told doctor who said to persist for another 3 weeks with him.

He is now close to 11lb and on same dosage and symptoms getting v bad again. Reading about zantac with babies it seems it's v weight sensitive regarding dose, just wondering what amount other ppl are giving babies that suffer with reflux as don't think he is getting neat enough now

The dose of any medication is always decided in conjunction with your baby's weight. Talk to your pharmacist about how to adjust the dose.
    My sisters little boy had a bad reflux for a few weeks and he was put on Losac (didn't tolerate Zantac) and it has always been adjusted in keeping with his weight gain. He is now 4 months old and as happy as a clam.

Advertisement