Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just bought one car, now old car uninsured. What's the option?

Options
  • 25-02-2016 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Transferred my insurance from 04 golf to new car today and now have no insurance on the golf which i want to sell. It's parked on a public road is the issue

Insurers say i need a new policy and have to pay either full amount close to 1400 or deposit of 400 and 150 for first month or so.. and then cancel when i get it sold by written request. Said for example for 15 days coverage it shouldnt cost me more than 200 with admin fees etc

Any other way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Get someone with 3rd party driving on their insurance to move it to a private parking spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

Trojan wrote: »
    Get someone with 3rd party driving on their insurance to move it to a private parking spot?

I always thought the car had to be taxed and insured by its owner for another persons 3rd part driving to cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

.red. wrote: »
    I always thought the car had to be taxed and insured by its owner for another persons 3rd part driving to cover it?

Nope. With Axa anyways. As long as you have owners permission you're covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

same with liberty insurance once car is not owned by you only need owners permission to drive 3rd party.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

same with me on aviva. the car just needs to be road worthy (valid NCT), not belong to me including any type of leasing agreement, and have permission from the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

Handy to know, you learn something new everyday I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 794 ✭✭✭TheHillOfDoom

Are you intending to leave it parked on the public road? Or is 'moving it' your intention?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

i'd say moving it - could my wife who is named on my insurance do it? i suppose i need to check that insurance

Probably need to have it insured for someone to trust me when buying it.. can't say id buy a car off someone if he/she couldn't drive it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,166 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bonkers wrote: »
    i'd say moving it - could my wife who is named on my insurance do it? i suppose i need to check that insurance

Probably need to have it insured for someone to trust me when buying it.. can't say id buy a car off someone if he/she couldn't drive it?

Your wife cannot drive it under your policy as a named driver as your policy only allows both of you to drive your new car that you transferred your policy over to, or a car that you don't actually own. You still own the Golf until it's sold. Your insurance company will not allow you drive another car you own under third party extension otherwise people would own more than one car but only take out one policy.

You need to find a friend, relative or neighbour with their own policy that allows them to drive other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,737 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The buyer will want to drive it either way, when they do they will be on their insurance 3rd Party, you should check their insurance policy covers this. A simple explanation to them that your no longer insured as you have a new car now should be fine for them if they are suspicious it's been lying there they will see from old insurance disc it hasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Wouldn't care if you could drive it as long as I could if I was the buyer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Put it in your wifes name and you can drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭leroypatches

Put it in your wifes name and you can drive it.
    I would have thought that was a good idea too, but when this same situation came up with me I found out that both my wife and I have a vested financial interest in the car regardless of whose name it's in so insurance companies won't accept it is you driving it "as a car you don't own". I had to get my brother to do the driving for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 794 ✭✭✭TheHillOfDoom

Oh for God's sake, just drive the thing home.

Advertisement