Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Scirocco 1.4tsi vs 2.0d / Honda CR-Z

Options
  • 25-02-2016 4:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Just had a look at a few Sciroccos lately and was wondering what peoples opinions are of the above engines? I have driven both and probably enjoyed the 1.4 a bit more, it felt a bit more refined and punchier at low revs.

However, I do 400 - 450 miles a week on average. Although the diesels are more expensive to buy, are they worth it in terms of overall economy? I am finding conflicting reports online as regards the economy of the 1.4 tsi.

I also like the Honda CRZ although they seem to be very scarce. Anyone here own or driven one?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

weadick wrote: »
    I also like the Honda CRZ although they seem to be very scarce. Anyone here own or driven one?

I owned one until last week, you'll get high 40s mpg on average but it's a small enough tank, about 500km range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Diesel Scirocco for sure

170bhp 2.0tdi is a fantastic drive, 50mpg, loads of power

You will save a fortune over the petrol, your 450 mile a week commute needs a diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

thierry14 wrote: »
    You will save a fortune over the petrol, your 450 mile a week commute needs a diesel

Not saying the diesel isn't good, but a 450 miles commute doesn't "need" a diesel. What would he save? €10-€15 a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Given that the 1.4tsi is quite efficient the overall cost of ownership might well be lower than the diesel equivalent.

If you wanted a higher powered car then one of the diesels might suit you better but from a financial standpoint given the small savings on fuel and the higher purchase price the petrol makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

What year are looking at OP?

The 1.4TSi Golf is more powerful than the scirocco, well its only 25bhp. Wouldn't really notice it I'd imagine.

I recently bought a 1.4TSi Golf, currently after 5 weeks of ownership and 1800km I'm averaging 34~35MPG. Which isn't bad I hope this might improve slightly over the coming weeks. Generally the range from a full tank is approx. 600km.

The scirocco is based on the mark 5 golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I recently bought a 1.4TSi Golf, currently after 5 weeks of ownership and 1800km I'm averaging 34~35MPG. Which isn't bad I hope this might improve slightly over the coming weeks. Generally the range from a full tank is approx. 600km.

Is that all town driving? My Passat 1.4tsi averages 40mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Is that all town driving? My Passat 1.4tsi averages 40mpg.

Mainly 12km trip on motorway and the odd town driving mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

The 1.4TSi Golf is more powerful than the scirocco, well its only 25bhp. Wouldn't really notice it I'd imagine.

The scirocco is based on the mark 5 golf

It's a 2009 122bhp model. Drove it today and its a beautiful car. Just the mpg that worries me. I'm currently driving a mk4 TDI so in theory I could be spending a lot of money to be worse off!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,163 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your wasting your time looking at petrol cars if your expecting similar fuel economy to a diesel. The 1.4 TSi engines are not heavy on fuel but they are not going to give you near diesel fuel economy. Hybrids may offer what you are looking for alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

bazz26 wrote: »
    Your wasting your time looking at petrol cars if your expecting similar fuel economy to a diesel. The 1.4 TSi engines are not heavy on fuel but they are not going to give you near diesel fuel economy. Hybrids may offer what you are looking for alright.

Thanks. The salesman told me they get 40 to 50 mpg (!). Took that with a large pinch of salt. I just found the 1.4 a bit nicer to drive but I'm not sure if it was nice enough to pay a lot more on fuel every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,163 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a salesman's job to make a sale so they tend to tell you what you want to hear. If you drove it like a granny with a gale behind you then you might get mid 40mpgs. But if the petrols did similar mpg to the diesels then there would be little point in making diesels.

Advertisement