Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MyPassport Ultra 1TB (recertified) €45 delivered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Thinking about this....is it a good deal? I assume it's not an SSD, right!?

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

madmoe wrote: »
    Thinking about this....is it a good deal? I assume it's not an SSD, right!?

Thanks,
    M

No its a HDD. Decent deal. I got a 3TB one for €65 a year ago from them.

Techmaster wrote: »
    No its a HDD. Decent deal. I got a 3TB one for €65 a year ago from them.

Thanks! What does recertified mean mate? Is it the same as refurbished?

Yep exactly. Its been refurbished by the manufacturer themselves. Mine came in a plain box but was resealed and immaculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I've bought these in the past and they are fit for purpose.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. I am very tempted but I think a 2TB/3TB would suit me needs better. I want to consolidate a few 1TB drives that I currently have into one drive if possible......

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thanks for the advice. I am very tempted but I think a 2TB/3TB would suit me needs better. I want to consolidate a few 1TB drives that I currently have into one drive if possible......

It depends what you need, this is a cheap portable drive. Perhaps what you need is a larger 3.5" high capacity disk.

It depends what you need, this is a cheap portable drive. Perhaps what you need is a larger 3.5" high capacity disk.

I have a massive WD 1TB drive and a small portable iomega 1TB drive and it would be nice to have everything on one small 2TB/3TB drive.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Techmaster wrote: »
    Yep exactly. Its been refurbished by the manufacturer themselves. Mine came in a plain box but was resealed and immaculate.

Can you remember how yours was delivered ?
    Courier or An Post ?

will56 wrote: »
    Can you remember how yours was delivered ?
    Courier or An Post ?

Courier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Parcel Motel So :)

This is actually a few Euro cheaper on the UK site, using Revolut and Parcel Motel UK address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Perhaps it means already returned once already.

What is the warranty? I couldn't find it on the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

Can this be plugged into your TV to record ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

marcus2000 wrote: »

Will depend on you TV specs, I've 3 TV's with USB record and varying results with different model portable drives.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

marcus2000 wrote: »

Depends on the USB port, some will have adequate power some won't, they are really more suited for connection to computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

slave1 wrote: »
    Will depend on you TV specs, I've 3 TV's with USB record and varying results with different model portable drives.

I have something similar on my main TV - works grand.

I wasn't sure if there were ones that were specifically good for TV recording, or whether it depended on the TV. it, so just wanted to confirm!! Ill try it anyway.

Thanks.

Some TVs have usb ports "HD USB"

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

good find thanks, does these also come with the usb cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lenny wrote: »
    good find thanks, does these also come with the usb cable?

Yes USB cable included, not a very long one, about 1.5 foot long, the drive is USB 3.0 but will also work with USB 2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

beauf wrote: »
    Perhaps it means already returned once already.

What is the warranty? I couldn't find it on the link.

aadma1.jpg

6 months compared to 2 years new.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok- on warranty grounds alone- I can't justify buying these.
    I've two WDs that I've to return in warranty here already- nothing against WDs- its the nature of hardware- and how you use it.......

Also- the 1Gb Elements were this price new- never mind recertified- Argos were flogging them for next to nothing before Christmas- there was at least one thread in here (Bargain Alerts) about it.

For a recertified product- I'd expect a far bigger discount than you're getting on these.

If you need larger storage- perhaps one of the Samsung 3 or 5TB drives from Amazon (I've 2*3 to safeguard against data loss- and back up a number of security feeds continuously on them).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Buying a refurbished hard disk is almost like buying used matches.
    Disk surfaces cannot be restored once damaged ..this would be the most likely fault. All you can do is block out sectors.
    I would certainly not rely on one for important data.

styron wrote: »
    aadma1.jpg

6 months compared to 2 years new.

Im not sure this is legal.

Normal guarantee for consumer units in the EU is two years (with onus of proof that the device was faulty on the consumer for the second year).

There may be a get out for second hand items.. but I have a feeling that these are not genuinely second hand, more like excess stock that is being sold as 'recertified' to avoid tanking the retail market.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Lads I've a pretty big bunch of family photos and videos gathered up over the years just sitting on my laptop and want to put them all onto the 1 drive

Would this one be perfect or better off going for something in our bricks and mortar shops? It's just for basically storing my photos somewhere safe all in the one place?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭droidman123

Lads I've a pretty big bunch of family photos and videos gathered up over the years just sitting on my laptop and want to put them all onto the 1 drive

Would this one be perfect or better off going for something in our bricks and mortar shops? It's just for basically storing my photos somewhere safe all in the one place?

You might be better off storing them on the cloud,drives can go wrong and you could lose all your photos

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

You might be better off storing them on the cloud,drives can go wrong and you could lose all your photos

Cheers for the advice thanks

Burn them to disk- hell burn a few copies- if they mean a lot, drop off a set with your will at your solicitor etc. Don't rely on a hard-drive- they do fail, maybe not all that often- but when you least expect them to- and when you most need them- they're down. I lost an entire 3:1 array one night- it took me nearly 100 hours to get it back online again- never again.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

You can get a brand new hard drive delivered from Amazon with full year warranty for about 60. Comes in different colours as well. For the difference of €15, is it worth the extra warranty?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00Y0R9D6G/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1456565752&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=passport+ultra+1tb&dpPl=1&dpID=41z8NEA-%2BfL&ref=plSrch

Ideo wrote: »
    For the difference of €15, is it worth the extra warranty?

Yes. Its not worth scrimping on hardware like this- esp. if the manufacturer isn't even going to give you a reasonable warranty on it. I could show you cases of graphics cards, motherboards etc etc- that were all manufacture certified refurbs.......... Its seriously not worth it..........

• Advertisement

I wouldn't get one as a primary backup. Maybe as a spare disk. As the others said. Keep a yearly back up dvd. 6 monthly and weekly on different disks, and, or one in the cloud.

Don't keep all the disks, DVDs in one place in case of fire, or theft.

Advertisement