Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensitive to Chlorine

Options
  • 25-02-2016 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

I have a few weeks off the end of March and it has always been in the back of my head to learn to swim.

However, whenever I have gone to local swimming pools over the years I have found myself very sensitive to chlorine.

Not while I'm in the pool but after - I always get cold/flu like symptoms for about a week afterwards.

Any ideas on how to stop this so I might be able to go and get lessons?

Would a nose clip thing work?

Also I read somewhere that the Aquatic Centre in Blanchardstown doesn't use chlorine to clean their pool, is this true? If so might be an idea to go though, although it would be a bit of a trek!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

My sis goes to the one on lotts road in ringsend and that has minimal chlorine - you can google them sportsco.ie

She sings their praises a lot - I've never been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I'm swimming 3-4 times a week and still get the symptoms you mentioned every now and then - actually I have them as we speak after the swimming session yesterday.

For me this is something that goes away after a session or two and is definitely happening less during spring/summer/fall than winter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Yes, chlorine affects my sinuses quite badly (ive sensitive sinuses anyway) so I used to use a nose clip and the pool I went to was not that heavily chlorinated.

The regular nose clips never stayed on for me, I got some good use out of a Speedo competition clip but that eventually failed so I invested in a Trygon diving nose clip which is pretty big but absolutely failure proof. Ive never had an issue since I got that although I swim a lot less these days anyway.

Sometimes rinsing the sinuses after a swim with Neilmed or using Sterimar used to help a bit too but then I got way too sensitive and I would just produce a nose bleed if I rinsed directly after.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

chops018 wrote: »

Also I read somewhere that the Aquatic Centre in Blanchardstown doesn't use chlorine to clean their pool, is this true? If so might be an idea to go though, although it would be a bit of a trek!
    The NAC is a chlorine pool

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057528004

discussed here, proper and thorough showering has improved things for me. Also if everyone showered thoroughly prior to getting into the pool they wouldnt need as much chlorine but thats another arguement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

The nose comes with the territory, have had 2 sinus drains from swimming over the years.

Belvedere College in Dublin City Centre has a pool and I found that pool was not too bad , and also the DIT have a pool in Kevin Street, small pool. Some of the pools are very heavy cholorinated ( is that a real word )

Advertisement