Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo a8-50 tablet preinstalled malware

Options
  • 25-02-2016 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

I had issues with this tablet. I factory reset it both on the settings and using power/volume button numerous times. Instead of fixing it, it actually added malware. This malware is now considered preinstalled malware. I disabled and forced stopped every app and eventually got play store running. I changed my password and installed Avg and it found 17 preinstalled malware threats but couldnt remove it. I tried malaware and couldnt delete either.
    I bought the tablet in argos at christmas. Im not sure if I can bring it back to them or if I should contact Lenovo. I know rooting may be a solution but this can void warranties and know nothing about it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. If you need an AV package on your android device, you're doing it wrong.

2. Its probably just bloatware that is being mislabeled as malware, specifically what have you found?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Its definitely malware.

com.android.updater, ceryos, adobe air, mp3 free downloader, com.android.hard, com.android.system, com.android.bson, super video downloader, google update, engrils, love beauty, #1 watch video, smsMang
    Agdd, powercoreservice, bcfservice, bidden, GoogleSafe, ConfigNservive to name a few

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Rooting just gives you Administrator privileges, you can remove/unroot when required.

Allyall wrote: »
    Rooting just gives you Administrator privileges, you can remove/unroot when required.

Whats the best way to go about doing this and removing the malware, thanks

I was suggestin custom rom, but I think the roms are a bit muddled.

Try Kingoroot - https://www.kingoapp.com/

http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to-easily-root-an-android-device/

• Advertisement

is there a way of rooting it not connected to a pc. I dont want to run the risk of infecting pc

is there a way of rooting it not connected to a pc. I dont want to run the risk of infecting pc

Just download Kingoapp and run it on the tablet.

I've managed to get rid of most of the malware but stubborn trojan killer is saying theres a ghost push trojan. It cant kill it. I cant uninstall bcfservice and com.android.vson when in superuser after downloading kingoroot. It comes up as failed

thats the one I used. I removed some trojans but cant kill the ghost push one

• Advertisement

I recommend wiping it and installing a custom rom. You will probably find one at XDA-Developers, Android Freaks, Freaktab or many other forums.
    Just make sure it is for the correct device. There is also a Lenovo A850 phone, Roms may not be compatible.

thats the one I used. I removed some trojans but cant kill the ghost push one

More help here - http://www.cmcm.com/article/share/2015-09-18/801.html
    Also some help in the comments.

no idea how to do that allyall but thanks for the help.

no idea how to do that allyall but thanks for the help.

Custom Rom is very easy to install.
    That manual removal above, may seem a bit much to follow, but that link was more for the alternative fixes in the comments, that I posted it.

I'll have a look for a custom rom and post one in a few minutes hopefully.

Root & TWRP Recovery - http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/root-twrp-lenovo-tab-2-a8-50f-mt8161-t3226130

Unfortunately I can't see a custom rom anywhere for that tablet.

Try downloading https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsecure.ms.safe&hl=en

and see if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its definitely malware.

com.android.updater, ceryos, adobe air, mp3 free downloader, com.android.hard, com.android.system, com.android.bson, super video downloader, google update, engrils, love beauty, #1 watch video, smsMang
    Agdd, powercoreservice, bcfservice, bidden, GoogleSafe, ConfigNservive to name a few

com.android.system So android itself is malware? Better go buy an iPad so.

Unfortunately I can't see a custom rom anywhere for that tablet.

Try downloading https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsecure.ms.safe&hl=en

and see if that helps

No luck, still have two malwares and possibly ghost push trojan. Trojan killer says it removed it but then rescan and its back

No luck, still have two malwares and possibly ghost push trojan. Trojan killer says it removed it but then rescan and its back

Have you run Root checker (from the play store) to check that it's rooted properly?

You should try this method - http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/root-twrp-lenovo-tab-2-a8-50f-mt8161-t3226130

It's quite straight forward and very unlikely your pc would become infected, but if you are worried about that, you can run a few scans on your PC afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Look for something called smsmanager thatll be running. I bet if you delete that all your problems will go.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Look for something called smsmanager thatll be running. I bet if you delete that all your problems will go.

I'd wipe it, but there doesn't seem to be a Rom anywhere, I've looked throught the Lenovo support site too.
    They have the source but nothing else.

I'm looking on their dev site.

• Advertisement

Might try it with my laptop. Ill install a good antivirus. Can a trojan pass from an android device to a pc? Its definitely the ghost trojan which is a nightmare/ almost unpossible to remove. I probably shouldnt have deleted playstore which doesnt help!

Can a trojan pass from an android device to a pc?

Very unlikely.

thanks for all your help. We managed to bring it back and get refund

Advertisement