Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect or engineer or both?

Options
  • 24-02-2016 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

We're due to break ground on our new build in co Wicklow in April. The house will be 2500sq. ft. 2 story and were looking for an A rating. We hired a family friend architect but are strongly considering letting him go as we can never get hold of him and he never returns our calls. Unless we owe him money! We've paid him for the work he's done so far which was a few design changes, the construction drawings and submitting for change of planning (We bought the site with FPP and the original planning drawings for the house). He was going to charge us €3000 (+€850 for works so far) for 15 site visits.

I'm wondering now if I'd be better off getting a new architect in or hiring an engineer or do I need both. Budget as always, is an issue! What could I expect to pay for these services?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have you lodged a commencement notice yet?
    Are you opting in or out to statutory certification?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

kceire wrote: »
    Have you lodged a commencement notice yet?
    Are you opting in or out to statutory certification?

Haven't lodged the commencement notice yet and we're not opting out of statutory certifacation.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EmmetF

skittles11 wrote: »
    and were looking for an A rating
    Just so you know, achieving an A rating will be a natural consequence of complying with Part L of the building regulations. If you're getting a B rating, it is very likely (if not guaranteed) that Part L is not being complied with.

Advertisement