Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Necropolis

Options
  • 24-02-2016 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Necropolis is a new Rougelike Hack n Slash from Harebrained Schemes

Dark Souls style combat taking place in a labyrinth.

I personally think the game looks fantastic, and am very hyped for its summer release.

http://necropolisgame.com/

There's a lot of info and art work on the games tumblr

http://necropolisgame.tumblr.com/

Harebrained Schemes, the studio known for resurrecting Shadowrun and, more recently, Battletech, announced the stylish, action-focused roguelike Necropolis in late 2014. It's maintained a relatively low profile since then, avoiding even the bounteous money-fields of Kickstarter, but today the studio revealed that it will launch on Steam on March 17, and even better, that it will support co-op multiplayer for up to four treasure-hungry spelunkers.

Unlike most roguelikes, Necropolis will feature a proper combat system based on timing and animation, so you'll need to learn enemy attack patterns and employ both heavy and light attacks in order to triumph over your enemies. Monsters will exist within an “ecology of threats,” exhibiting predator and prey behavior that you'll (maybe) be able to take advantage of, and naturally, the deeper into the dungeon you go, the worse things will get. On the upside, you'll be able to upgrade your avatar with magical elixirs, items of power, runes, ward, and spells.

The game won't stray too far from one core aspect of roguelikes, however, which is that you will almost certainly die, often and badly. When you do, everything changes, and you'll start over again from the top. Get it right, or die trying.

Pre-purchase now available with the game soundtrack on Steam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I was looking forward to this till they cut out classes and decided to add them as dlc, il probably wait till it goes on sale now, bit pricey for an indie game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Love this sort of sleek minimalist visual style.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

This got a release date today, July 12th

GOG price is €26.50 so hopefully GMG have a 20-25% off code around that time, they normally tend to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I've popped it on my wishlist, I've been intrigued about it for a while now, and it'll be interesting to see what the Harebrained guys do outside of the Shadowrun series.

• Advertisement

So this is out tomorrow, very tempted indeed to get it.

Also, I have the old Manila Road song stuck in my head now...

Lost in Necrooooopoliiiiiiis!

So, given this a couple of hours, and wow... it's not good. :(

It feels like an early access game, there's a load of issues with it, the combat feels really floaty, and it made my steam controller completely wig out vibrating constantly. Don't get it in this state guys! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

yea i just watched youtuber video for it, that did not look as good as i was expecting it to be, i think i will give it a pass for now. It's disappointing because it was meant to be out a few months back but got delayed and it just really look that fun sadly.

Yeah, I think TotalBiscuit is absolutely on point with this:

It feels like an absolutely barebones early access game, though I would say the combat is even worse than he described, it feels really floaty, like you're barely interacting with the world at all, there's no momentum when you jump or anything it's all just... It feels worse than unfinished, like they're still half way through production and there's a load of mechanics that are only half ironed out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Really glad I gave this a miss.

• Advertisement

Polygon's review

This is seriously on the mark as well.

Good new is, might've sorted a refund with Humble. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

What a shame, this looked like it might be really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

It's really like a multiplayer Dark Souls

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

didnt take to this at all initially, but its sorta growing on me...

Advertisement