Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a way to find the residents of a Dublin property back in the 40s/50s/60s?

Options
  • 24-02-2016 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately I can't go into to much detail about the person themselves. But I know that he was a resident in one of the houses on Mountjoy square around 1945. I don't know how long he was there (& would like to find out). He died in 1969.

He lived unmarried with a partner (most probably now deceased) & at least one son (who may still be alive).

We've never had any contact with this son & I'd like to try to find out if there are any more kids as well as how long he lived there for.

I know the number on the square & work on the assumption through family information that he lived there at least around 1945. At the time, these houses would most probably still have been in tenements.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Electoral rolls, Thom's Directory's, death and other notices in newspaper archives, burial records at Glasnevin Trust, and Will Calendars (up to 1982) have all helped me when looking for relatives who lived in Dublin in the mid 1900's.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I can see him on the electoral in the place he's supposed to be (family home), but know for a fact he wasn't living there at the time, although he & his wife maintained some sort of strained relationship for many years, so it wouldn't surprise me if he still got post there regularly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, the cancelled Valuation books will tell you who paid the rates on the property. Irish Life building - not online but free to search.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

There is a full collection of Thom's Directories in the Gilbert Library in Pearse Street Dublin. You will have to sign up but there is no charge and then you can browse the entire collection.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The Gilbert also has old telephone directories.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I can check various Thom's but they only list principle occupant or business, and if the building is shared may just show 'Tenements' , or 'in Flats'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

shanew wrote: »
    I can check various Thom's but they only list principle occupant or business, and if the building is shared may just show 'Tenements' , or 'in Flats'

Thanks Shane, I'll PM you the names now.

Advertisement