Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recore (Xbox One and Pc)

Options
  • 24-02-2016 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭

Keiji Inafune (Mega Man, Resident Evil, Lost Planet, Dead Rising) is behind it and it looks interesting. The man has a lot of good quality games under his belt.

Release date: 2016

This on anyone elses radar?

Comments

It is on mine for now but I'm still waiting to see anything that resembles gameplay. On paper it ticks the boxes for me.

I'd not be surprised to see it pushed into 2017 though I'd like to be wrong on that.

Spotted a reddit post on this mentioning it's price in USD so decided to have a look myself on the Irish store and what a shock I got. A good shock, looks like it's going to retail at €39.99 :eek:

Priced to sell or price based on content though I wonder :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Everyone who's played this wasn't impressed with it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ShaneU wrote: »

Really? I've heard nothing but good things, a lot of people saying it was a hell of a lot of fun to control and play around with. USgamer and Jeremy Parish in particular were very impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

I'm confused, is it an open world and are there missions or what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

Spotted a reddit post on this mentioning it's price in USD so decided to have a look myself on the Irish store and what a shock I got. A good shock, looks like it's going to retail at 39.99 :eek:

Priced to sell or price based on content though I wonder :confused:
    Yeah, Microsoft annonunced it would be a budget game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Currently the preorder is £29.99 to parcelmotel and £10 voucher free on microsoft store, worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Keiji Inafune (Mega ManMighty No. 9, Resident Evil, Lost Planet, Dead Rising) is behind it and it looks interesting. The man has a lot of good quality games under his belt.

Release date: 2016

This on anyone elses radar?

FTFY

Gamescom gameplay trailer.

That double jump ? Looks odd to me in a 3rd person title.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Gamescom gameplay trailer.

That double jump ? Looks odd to me in a 3rd person title.

I wouldnt have a problem with it if there was even the slightest bit of visual flair, like a jet of air from a thruster (think iron mans boots) or something. It just looks very stilted or something.

otherwise, I'm liking the look of it.

• Advertisement

well this is an issue loading times after death

https://twitter.com/PressStartKofi/status/774589466430345216/video/1

Says in the comments he's already applied a 6gb patch which is likely the day one patch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Excuse my ignorance on this matter, but it has left me baffled for a while: why exactly is Inafune so beloved? Like no doubt whatsoever he's been involved in many very popular games, but has he been the lead creative / director - or indeed even a key creative - on them? His main role seems to be as a producer on many of these games, and an artist on some in the early days. Which, I dunno, seems a bit at odds with the amount of goodwill and admiration he garners.

Maybe I'm wrong here, and I'm not big up on the ins-and-outs of a producer's role in development. I know there's that infamous Kamiya burn about Inafune being a business man, not a creator. But I don't know, that seems pretty accurate? While I think this game looks very bland, I'd definitely think the fact that it's by the director of Metroid Prime is more important than the producer's role? Again, correct me if I'm wrong on this, and certainly not trying to downplay the importance of producers and other significant staff members (many problems with the 'auteur' and 'visionary' approach after all). But again I just am fascinated that Infanue as a producer - not a role we often see celebrated or noted - seems to command such attention. I really remain really curious about how much creative influence he has over these games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The producer role in Japan is pretty much the director role and he has had direct input on many of the games he has worked on, some of which could be counted as one of the best of all time. However his latter career saw him in more of a western producer or executive role and that's basically what he is doing at comcept, doing high level pitches and leaving the game design to a third party (which would explain the crappiness of mighty no. 9.)

So basically Kamiya is right about him but he wasn't always that way.

Oh dear http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/12/12886642/recore-review-xbox-one-windows-10-PC :(

Destructoid are not as nice https://www.destructoid.com/review-recore-385972.phtml
    What this amounts to is a fundamental misunderstanding of what an open-world game should be. Giving the player the option to scour every nook and cranny for collectibles is a viable method of unstructured game design. But, requiring them to do this to finish the game (with a near-worthless map, to boot) is unforgivable. If you still had good will stored up for ReCore, it will most likely be gone when you get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ShaneU wrote: »

called it

Reviews are mixed for this. Some people are giving it quite high saying the exploration and platforming are fantastic while the combat is messy while others don't like the aimless design. They all seem to point out having areas locked off because of level and loot requirements is stupid. I'll be picking this up, the exploration sounds really fun and different from the usual crappy ubisoft icon map driven games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

I saw a thing saying the graphics and textures are really bad, it wasn't that the game wasn't pretty that he was complaining about though, it was the fact that it was hard to tell if something was a rock or a shadow

€33.99 in Argos for those willing to take a chance on it.

I caved and got this yesterday. Only put about 2 hours in but really enjoying it. I like that the double jump and dash are there from start and not upgrade and the combat really feels good in how it flows.

The criticism of the map is warranted, it's going to be a giant pain in the arse with pick ups not getting removed once you collect them :mad:

Ok there is a lot of frustration in the platforming and really it could have been eased simply by telling you something or having a bloody manual before you have tried 20+ times to make a sequence of jumps.

I saw this an hour later on a loading screen and wanted to throw the pad at the screen, so ill post this nugget to save others the rage.

If you dash off a ledge or platform you can dash again after you have jumped once in the air. knowing this would have saved me a far bit of climbing back an trying again and again and only making the jump by grabbing the ledge through blind luck.

I was looking at the jumps and thinking thats bad level design when really it was simply the game not telling me with a tool tip or on screen prompt when I needed to be told.

• Advertisement

Not finished yet but near the end. A lot of the reviews were bang on the money.

Great fun for 4-6 hours until you reach a certain point in the story and then it becomes a game of rage and frustration. The game hasn't levelled you up enough by that point so theres 1 shot deaths a plenty. Deathloops from when you fall and spawn back to be knocked off again straight away.

So you get to the final area, after some events there you follow the mission marker to a door try to open it only to be told sorry you need 20 cores to open this, more for the next level of which there are 4 I think and there are no cores to be gained through out this area as you play through it :mad:

Grand I'll just go and collect some by playing some of those optional dungeons I've encountered. Checks map , no most of those I need cores for too or I'm underleveled, usually both :mad:

Ok so theres a few I can do, so off I go , no I can't open these doors until I find between 4-6 key bots which aren't on the map and in some cases in some very obscure places so resort to looking up. This is what the reviews were talking about when they mentioned areas locked off in a bad way. Not inaccessible in a fun metroidvania way but in a grindy game padding way.

So you eventually get in to one and get through only to realise you have the wrong core bots equipped, queue fast travel back to the Crawler because it's quicker than traversing back through the dungeon to get the right ones and fast travel back, add close to 4 minutes over 2 loading screens :mad:

The combat has it's issues in tight spaces mainly due to the lock on targeting were it will suddenly snap to a different enemy if they stray across your path. I do really like the use of different coloured ammo to damage different enemies though.

It's not all bad though the traversal and exploration in the main is still really fun but just a few things really souring this game for me now which is a shame really.

EDIT: Oh forgot 2 things, the achievements are broken which for me is an issue lol :D and more importantly the game isn't finished. At least 2 areas with collectibles are inaccessible unless you exploit your way there as the 5th corebot the Tank isn't even in the game !!!!!

So nearly a year on they have released a "definitive edition". It's a free DLC for those who already have the game. Adds the tank finally some new areas and story. Collectibles finally added to the map..... so many wasted hours... and for those who say you didn't have to collect them, yes you do if you want to finish the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

So nearly a year on they have released a "definitive edition". It's a free DLC for those who already have the game. Adds the tank finally some new areas and story. Collectibles finally added to the map..... so many wasted hours... and for those who say you didn't have to collect them, yes you do if you want to finish the game.

so it doesn't remove the grinding?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got stuck on a platforming bit and I swear too god I nearly threw the controller out the window I was that frustrated with it :mad: and haven't gone back too it since.

Advertisement