Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf 1.4 80 BHP 2008 Pre July 08

Options
  • 24-02-2016 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All..I am currently thinking of buying a VW Golf 1.4 80 BHP 2008 which has 66KM on the clock which is relatively low for a Golf right? I have read some bad reviews on these as being slow and sluggish and would like to get any views from previous experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,169 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've never owned one but I've driven a couple. They are sluggish and slow but it really depends on what you are coming from and what your expect to use it for. Your doing mostly urban driving then it will do the job the same as similar cars, whereas if your doing open road long runs then you will find it frustrating for overtaking eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a terrible terrible engine in terms of speed, I would rather buy a Honda 50 than drive one again. The 1.4 Corolla has 90bhp for comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

It's a terrible terrible engine in terms of speed, I would rather buy a Honda 50 than drive one again. The 1.4 Corolla has 90bhp for comparison.

The corolla has 95bhp and the gap between the golf and it's KIA and Hyundai rivals is even bigger. I think they have a 108bhp 1.4 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 donal28

Hi guys thanks for the feedback....I am coming from a Hynudai Sonata 2.0 diesel engine so I guess I will notice a big difference but am changing as it galling paying €710 tax per year!! plus my driving is mostly urban and I'm not big on speed...Is it sore on fuel?

Coming from a Sonata then surely it would make more sense to look at another Hyundai in the shape of the i30 1.4 litre?

• Advertisement

yeah your probably right...I haven't really done a whole lot of research on it to be honest.....the repairs, service and tax on the Sonata made me think it was time to scale down......Is the i30 1.4 litre a better spec/performer

i30 in Deluxe spec is pretty decent for the segment. 1.4 litre has 110bhp afaik so pretty nippy for it's size. Kia Ceed is the i30's sister car and uses the same running gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

donal28 wrote: »
    Hi All..I am currently thinking of buying a VW Golf 1.4 80 BHP 2008 which has 66KM on the clock which is relatively low for a Golf right? I have read some bad reviews on these as being slow and sluggish and would like to get any views from previous experience

I have the same from 07. As others have said above, if it's mostly city driving you're doing, it's fine for getting from A-B. It's not as bad as a Micra or Yaris on the motorway but yes, you will be keeping to the left lane for the most part unless you're overtaking above said cars above doing 80km/hour.

I get around 40miles/gallon and servicing it is cheap and cheerful.

ps. Mine can struggle a bit on inclines. If you live on a hilltop don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Are you changing car solely to save 400e a year in tax?
    Do your kms warrant a petrol? Have you made the calculations to higher fuel costs and what it will actually cost you to switch cars.
    I would do all my sums first before making the leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Buy the comfortline, lovely comfy car. Not fast but so what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I had one of those golfs for a week, extremely slow and almost dangerous when overtaking. It would be grand for doing short runs around the town but if you're doing motorway mileage or long runs then avoid buying one imo.

You should be able to get a 1.4 Corolla for roughly the same price. It's a nippier and generally better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

a Luna spec corolla would have nice equipment level too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Avoid if you go near a motorway. Continental drift is faster I think. The 1.6 is a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭dennyk

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Avoid if you go near a motorway. Continental drift is faster I think. The 1.6 is a bit better.

I have an '06 1.6l petrol, and it's fine for motorway driving, as long as you downshift before overtaking (or pull out before you'd have to slow down) and you ain't scared of giving it full throttle on the slipway. Can't imagine the 1.4l would be a pleasant experience there, though.

bear1 wrote: »
    Are you changing car solely to save 400e a year in tax?
    Do your kms warrant a petrol? Have you made the calculations to higher fuel costs and what it will actually cost you to switch cars.
    I would do all my sums first before making the leap.

well the tax was one of the reasons and that fact that I am currently not doing enough millage to warrant a a 2L diesel engine....No haven't done the sums on higher fuel consumption...are you saying my fuel costs will go up by changing to the VW Golf?

Moneymaker wrote: »

I do travel on the M50 from time to time....Is it really that slow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

VW GOLF 14.2sec 40mpg
    Auris 12.6 40mpg
    Ceed 11.2 46
    Kia 11.2 48

So if acceleration and better economy is what you want then the Hyundai/Kia fits the bill, but as Clarkson says everytime I see a Golf, I should have bought one of them.

VW GOLF 14.2sec 40mpg
    Auris 12.6 40mpg
    Ceed 11.2 46
    Kia 11.2 48

So if acceleration and better economy is what you want then the Hyundai/Kia fits the bill, but as Clarkson says everytime I see a Golf, I should have bought one of them.

Lol....nice one and I think that was kinna what I was thinking when looing at it!! I guess will never really know until I actually get one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

I second the corolla esp 1.4 d4-d 90bhp and have had the older golf 1.4 75bhp and the corolla on power is way above the golf I had to down gears build up speed to over take but the corolla just press accelerator and it's gone. Some 1.4 golf burn oil also mine did 7 k miles and light came on to top up I had car from new and always serviced on time.

Advertisement