Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish driving licence from UK?

Options
  • 24-02-2016 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Excuse please if in the wrong place... BOI have asked for my licence. I have a life long full UK licence but a file of papers etc is missing without trace ( too many house moves..) I rang DVLA and already knew that they will not issue a new UK licence if you are no longer living there. They were very efficient and are sending me a certificate to the effect I do have a full licence. Not sure where I go from there? Surely that certificate will be enough for the insurance? Has anyone every done this please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'd start by phoning the NDLS and explaining the situation.

https://www.ndls.ie/contact.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

jimgoose wrote: »
    I'd start by phoning the NDLS and explaining the situation.

https://www.ndls.ie/contact.html

Thanks but need to know before I call,, I think it is not so uncommon as some have to renew the UK licence and same for them...Who are the NDLS? Please!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thanks but need to know before I call,, I think it is not so uncommon as some have to renew the UK licence and same for them...Who are the NDLS? Please!

The National Driving License Service. They're part of the RSA and the equivalent of the DSA here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

What I did long ago was swap my UK certificate to drive that I got from the DVLA for an Irish licence. I'm fairly sure thats the way its still done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

my3cents wrote: »
    What I did long ago was swap my UK certificate to drive that I got from the DVLA for an Irish licence. I'm fairly sure thats the way its still done.

Yep, that seems to be the procedure
    https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign-licences.html
    If you do not have your licence you will need to present an original letter of entitlement/ driver statement from the appropriate licencing authority and complete the lost licence declaration (see question 17 on application form)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Graces7 wrote: »
    Excuse please if in the wrong place... BOI have asked for my licence. I have a life long full UK licence but a file of papers etc is missing without trace ( too many house moves..) I rang DVLA and already knew that they will not issue a new UK licence if you are no longer living there. They were very efficient and are sending me a certificate to the effect I do have a full licence. Not sure where I go from there? Surely that certificate will be enough for the insurance? Has anyone every done this please?

You no longer have a UK licence but you have an "entitlement to drive" as they term it. If you were still living in the UK, you could simply renew your licence or, mor likely, apply for a first photocard licence. Here you will need to use the "entitlement to drive" to obtain an Irish driving licence through the National Driver Licensing Service which will unfortunately require a trip to their office to have a photograph taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

it's a stipulation in the Uk that you must have your current address on your license, so it's likely it isn't valid anymore,(for driving in the Uk t least)

Thanks everyone.. will take it step by step.. The main thing just now is that BOI accept the Letter of Entitlement for my insurance? Surely they should? Then I can sort the rest.. one small step at a time.

it's a stipulation in the Uk that you must have your current address on your license, so it's likely it isn't valid anymore,(for driving in the Uk t least)

Interesting point that they never mentioned when I talked to them. Ah well, sorted now. They would not rule it invalid ie that you are not allowed to drive . Just tell you to sort it. or maybe for ID purposes when it was the old paper licence anyways. Have always used my UK passport for that,,, The address on mine was from way back and never an issue with that.

Advertisement