Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrier Billing on a Tablet

Options
  • 24-02-2016 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I don't have a smartphone but I have an android tablet, if I got the loan of an android phone would it be possible to setup carrier billing on my google play store account so I purchase apps on my tablet?

Alternatively from googling I see that its possible to connect a 3g dongle to a tablet via a usb otg cable, but I haven't seen it used for carrier billing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

For carrier billing you need to be connected to the mobile network. So connecting your tablet to your dongle should work (Presuming that you are on Three, as Vodafone and Eir don't support carrier billing for Google Play).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

According to news from 2014 when they added tablet support it doesnt need to be connected to the network directly, no instructions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

the-ging wrote: »
    For carrier billing you need to be connected to the mobile network.
    Do you mean using mobile data as opposed to WiFi or just having the SIM card in your phone/tablet?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

You will need to be using mobile data, if your tablet is connected to a mobile mi-fi dongle then you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

the-ging wrote: »
    You will need to be using mobile data, if your tablet is connected to a mobile mi-fi dongle then you should be ok.
    You don't need to use mobile data. I personally have mobile data always turned off and have never had an issue with carrier billing. I don't ever remember having to turn mobile data on to set it up either.

OP to answer your question, I think it is possible to set up carrier billing as you've suggested. I vaguely remember reading somewhere recently that changes were made to carrier billing so that it would work in situations as you've described. I could be wrong but it can't hurt to test it out can it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Thanks for the replies, I'll try connecting the tablet to a dongle.

Advertisement