Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Appreciate advice re best new car fits my needs

Options
  • 24-02-2016 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Have a very tired old Passat that is close to its last legs, 160k on the clock and the clutch needs replacing - I'm against spending €700 on a car worth maybe €2000 so I am thinking I'll just upgrade but definitely need advice on best engine type/size for me.

I literally only drive my car to and from work Mon to Fri. It's about 10km round trip. All long journeys and weekend stuff is done in the wife's 1.6d Quasqai with the smallies seats already fitted there.

Visually the only 2 cars that catch my eye atm are the Audi A3 Saloon S-Line or the Mercedes CLA. Reviews wise the A3 looks better and I believe their engine choice would be a better fit.

On that topic can I ask opinions on whether I should be considering the 1.4TDSI or 1.6diesel?

Likewise I wouldn't be against an electric or a hybrid but the Tesla Model 3 would probably be first pick and they haven't even started making them yet soooooo ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With that low usage and driving a petrol car would be more suitable than a diesel car. You will not even get better fuel economy on the diesel as your not driving it far enough to even warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Go with Petrol or a Hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ampjohnny

Thanks for the feedback. What do people think of this one?

http://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A3-S-Line/200914556292754790

I could be wrong but I think that car may have belonged to someone on here, tippman1 I think is his name. Might be worth PMing him if he doesn't spot this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

For a 10km round trip you should just walk or cycle. Spending 28k on a car that dies 20km a day doesn't make financial sense

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    For a 10km round trip you should just walk or cycle. Spending 28k on a car that dies 20km a day doesn't make financial sense

Cars very rarely make financial sense and for some people may not be the only reason to want one.

ted1 wrote: »

I take the point but you Can't walk or cycle across a motorway and with kids etc a 2nd car is just necessary.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think that car may have belonged to someone on here, tippman1 I think is his name. Might be worth PMing him if he doesn't spot this thread.

That's gas - I'd say it must be the same car - nice to be able to read his review of it before I go take a look. I'll drop an IM now. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'm in the same boat as you. About 10 km trip to work each day in an old Astra diesel. Long trips in the wife's Prius.
    To my mind, you're mad to be looking to change. I went through the same thing late last year, and ended up not being able to justify it. My car is standing me nothing, and all it costs me is running it...which I'll have to pay for with any car.
    So what I'm doing instead is saving what would've been my loan/PCP payment, and next year, if something catches my eye, I have the cash to do it. If there's nothing there, I'll keep saving until there is something.

All that being said, after saving so long, I'd probably be loathe to get rid of the Astra if she's still chugging away.

I've gone full retard as regards no debt recently! :o

Soarer wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you. About 10 km trip to work each day in an old Astra diesel. Long trips in the wife's Prius.
    To my mind, you're mad to be looking to change. I went through the same thing late last year, and ended up not being able to justify it. My car is standing me nothing, and all it costs me is running it...which I'll have to pay for with any car.
    So what I'm doing instead is saving what would've been my loan/PCP payment, and next year, if something catches my eye, I have the cash to do it. If there's nothing there, I'll keep saving until there is something.

All that being said, after saving so long, I'd probably be loathe to get rid of the Astra if she's still chugging away.

I've gone full retard as regards no debt recently! :o

You think I'm mad but you're saving up to do the same thing next year?

I think we're on the same page - I'm just 12 months further down the road than you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭Soarer

ampjohnny wrote: »
    You think I'm mad but you're saving up to do the same thing next year?

I think we're on the same page - I'm just 12 months further down the road than you ;)

Sorry Johnny. I assumed you were going into hock to get something. Most people are these days. Plus, my saving will get me something for €5k. You're looking at €30k for 100 miles per week!

If you've the cash, fill yer boots.

I posted in another thread about bringing in a Lexus IS300h. They're great value even with the rubbish exchange rate. VRT is minimal given the value of the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

bazz26 wrote: »

Just spotted this thread now. It's not my former A3 Saloon for sale there ( I replied to the op's pm)

About the petrol 1.4 TFSI engine v the 2.0 diesel, I'd say petrol would be a no-brainer for the op's driving needs. It's a pretty economical engine, though I have a very light right foot. My 1.4 (140hp) had plenty of poke and was fun to drive though lacking a bit of torque below about 2200 rpm.

All in all, a very nice car and I'd certainly recommend it. Great handling too, if you feel like a bit of 'take-me-home, country roads' driving.

Soarer wrote: »
    Sorry Johnny. I assumed you were going into hock to get something. Most people are these days. Plus, my saving will get me something for €5k. You're looking at €30k for 100 miles per week!

If you've the cash, fill yer boots.

I posted in another thread about bringing in a Lexus IS300h. They're great value even with the rubbish exchange rate. VRT is minimal given the value of the cars.

Ah listen I hear ya - I'm only having the craic. I looked at the IS300h myself but again it didn't turn my head the way the A3 Saloon did.

My thanks to everyone for the feedback and opinions. Test drove the A3 Sline and bought it within 10 mins :D

Beautiful machine. Plenty of power in the 1.4 TFSI and the cabin is lush. Delighted to see it has COD as well so I was hitting 60/65 MPG on the way down on the motorway when two of the cylinders shut down.

Great dealing with Pierce Motors too who found a way of making the budget available work and gave me a very fair price for my old Passat. Audi Cork just didn't seem interested in my money so I took it elsewhere although their service guys were brilliant when I rang them with 20 questions.

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Well ware with the A3 ampjohnny they are a beautiful car to drive, I bought a A3 2.0tdi from Pierce Motors last year, a delight to deal with, would recommend them highly. Just watch those 18" Wheels they are so easy to Kerb.

SBPhoto wrote: »
    Well ware with the A3 ampjohnny they are a beautiful car to drive, I bought a A3 2.0tdi from Pierce Motors last year, a delight to deal with, would recommend them highly. Just watch those 18" Wheels they are so easy to Kerb.

Thank you sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Why not go electric? I do 50,000km a year in a BMW i3 and would laugh in the face of anyone who suggested going back to a slow, noisy, unreliable, unrefined, unresponsive and expensive to run petrol or diesel car. My total fuel bill for the last 12 months was €327... and I do more mileage than most taxi drivers.

If you are nervous and just want to dip your toe in go for the A3 etron. Much better performance than the pure petrol/diesel jobs (though not as good as a pure EV) and it will cover your daily journeys on electric power.

Similar spec to the sline but there's €5k off the VRT and €2.5k off the purchase price from SEAI.

Tesla are starting to take $1k deposits for the model 3 the end of the month but you won't see a sniff of one in RHD for at least two to three years.

Advertisement