Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

White smoke in the morning? Nissan Almera

Options
  • 24-02-2016 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Guys,

I have a 2006 Nissan Almera and I have noticed the last couple of mornings a presence of white smoke behind the car while I'm driving to work. There is no smoke when I start the car in the morning, it's just when I get a few hundred yards down the road does it start up.

Would anyone here know what possible problems I could be facing?

Really appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

timmy2019 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have a 2006 Nissan Almera and I have noticed the last couple of mornings a presence of white smoke behind the car while I'm driving to work. There is no smoke when I start the car in the morning, it's just when I get a few hundred yards down the road does it start up.

Would anyone here know what possible problems I could be facing?

Really appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Is it thick heavy smoke? Have you been topping up your coolant more than usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check coolant, is it lower than it should be?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

I wouldn't worry about it too much, You see a lot of cars smoking in colder weather, White smoke is usually an indicator that coolant is getting burnt off somewhere e.g head gasket issues for example. So just keep an eye that the coolant levels are correct.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think you've elected a new Pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 timmy2019

Whosthis wrote: »
    Is it thick heavy smoker?

It can be thick but gets really light after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

It starts after the exhaust gets hot enought to condense water in the exhaust. If it stops completely after a while then it was just condensation. If you continue to have white smoke after the engine has been on for 20 minutes then its probably not condensation anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 timmy2019

biko wrote: »
    Check coolant, is it lower than it should be?

Coolant is at it's normal level. Doesn't seem to have gone down.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

There was white smoke coming out of my lungs when I went outside this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

ffs, most of the petrol car emissions is water (and CO2). So yes, totally normal to have a white cloud of water vapour from the exhaust in the cold mornings.

samih wrote: »
    ffs, most of the petrol car emissions is water (and CO2). So yes, totally normal to have a white cloud of water vapour from the exhaust in the cold mornings.

What's the ffs for? Eating dinner does not make one a chef.

• Advertisement

Whosthis wrote: »
    What's the ffs for? Eating dinner does not make one a chef and

...and what? ;-)

typo

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If coolant remains at level then just motor away.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When the car reaches normal running temperature is the smoke still coming out?

When the car reaches normal running temperature is the smoke still coming out?

If it doesn't loose coolant all is fine. Exhaust mufflers can accumulate several liters of condensed water especially if the car has been mainly driven short distances. In really cold weather a car can have a continuous white plume behind it for hundreds of kilometers at the time, totally normal.

Advertisement