Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How/Where to get a job?

Options
  • 24-02-2016 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi, I've suffered from depression, agoraphobia, social and generalised anxiety disorders for 20 years, all throughout my teen years, plus I have a Hyper Sensitivity Personality. It has been almost paralysing but I have winged my way through life, never having had what one would call a "proper job", most of my life spent in my bedroom and a few years in college, where I made friends, and then as a result of my mental illness, lost them. I have no idea how I can actually face the world as I get older. I have no support for my mental illhealth from anywhere and I just feel in order to continue to exist and survive this life I need to get a job somehow. However, considering my fears and anxieties and sensitivity I am feeling completely paralysed as to what to do and where to turn. My image of the work force and authority is dog eat dog and the idea of working for anybody means working under their thumb and I worry my illhealth will draw me back in anything I attempt to do and I feel any rejection will put me back in my hermit cave. I don't think I will ever be able to manage the strictness or aggressive manner of any boss and I am desperate to know are their any programs or places out there where mental illhealth is seriously taken into consideration when somebody is trying to put themselves out there in the world for a job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Juxtapose

door wrote: »
    Hi, I've suffered from depression, agoraphobia, social and generalised anxiety disorders for 20 years, all throughout my teen years, plus I have a Hyper Sensitivity Personality. It has been almost paralysing but I have winged my way through life, never having had what one would call a "proper job", most of my life spent in my bedroom and a few years in college, where I made friends, and then as a result of my mental illness, lost them. I have no idea how I can actually face the world as I get older. I have no support for my mental illhealth from anywhere and I just feel in order to continue to exist and survive this life I need to get a job somehow. However, considering my fears and anxieties and sensitivity I am feeling completely paralysed as to what to do and where to turn. My image of the work force and authority is dog eat dog and the idea of working for anybody means working under their thumb and I worry my illhealth will draw me back in anything I attempt to do and I feel any rejection will put me back in my hermit cave. I don't think I will ever be able to manage the strictness or aggressive manner of any boss and I am desperate to know are their any programs or places out there where mental illhealth is seriously taken into consideration when somebody is trying to put themselves out there in the world for a job?

Hi door. What you have said i can really relate to. Especially the bits about facing the world and how it will react. It's a scary prospect really and the over analysing of it can be really paralysing for hyper sensitive people.

You mentioned you have no support for your mental health. Well perhaps that is something that you should look to actively change first, before prioritising with seeking out a job.
    I'm in no way advising, but I know from my own experiences that counselling and CBT opened up new ways to look at things. I'm still attending counselling and i feel it has helped me with social anxiety and work related anxieties. But every individual is different. I think reaching out and finding a comfort zone is key, perhaps your GP could advise you better.

I found a good article that includes some helpful guides that may be of benefit? http://www.myhealthtime.ie/returning-to-work-after-mental-health-issues/
    Unfortunately the links all seem to be for a uk government scheme called access to work, i was unable to find any similar here.

Also there is the long term illness sub-forum here, with people who are extremely kind and encouraging. Theres a lot of links to useful websites for mental illness too. I hope you can take the next step and sorry that i couldn't give more answers. Please know that you are not alone. Many people suffer from work related mental health issues (myself included!), but finding the courage to accept that and seek out ways of changing is hugely promising. So keep going :)

Advertisement