Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck on Integration

Options
  • 24-02-2016 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

I've been working through triple integral for a sphere ( by cartesian) and I've gotten past the 1st stage. Now I'm trying to integrate sqrt(9 -y^2 -z^2 ) dy but getting nowhere fast... any hints?

I've seen one solution as (ysqrt(9 - y^2 - z^2) + (9 - z^2) arcsin(y/sqrt(9 - z^2) but havn't a clue how he made that leap!:(

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Your question is too vague, what exactly do you want to integrate. And if it involves a sphere then there is no reason not to make a change to polar coordinates before integrating you only make your life more difficult not doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Yes polar would be a lot easier, however the evaluation path I'm on is by using cartesian coordinates only.

If it makes any difference the y limits are -(sqrt9 -z^2) to +(sqrt9 -z^2) and after that I'll be looking for dz with z limits from -3 to 3

or maybe to put it another way... how is this step made?
    378567.jpg
    Integration.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

That step is not trivial and I suspect he/she already explained it in a previous example (based on the 'note').

It amounts to how might one integrate [latex]\sqrt{c-y^2}[/latex] which is usually carried out by a trigonometric substitution see here

Ok thanks, I subbed in (sqrt(9-z^2))sin(theta) instead of y and changed the limits etc. All worked out then:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement